All iPads 3D Glasses-Free iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FutureTechHope, Sep 21, 2013.

1. FutureTechHope, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

FutureTechHope macrumors member

FutureTechHope

Companies like Hampoo, Gadmei and others have created 3D auto-stereoscopic(No-3D-glasses-needed) high resolution tablets. Several new companies are set to release power efficient, glasses-free 3D high resolution tablets.

Apple should incorporate auto-stereoscopic screens on all their retina devices.

2. prism macrumors 6502a

Wishful thinking, Steve Jobs is gone and the new management is way to conservative for such a radical move.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

LOL take a look at iOS7 and then say management is too conservative.

4. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

The last thing I want on my ipad is 3D.. At least in its current state. I'm not sure what technology will bring but 3D in any of its current forms would be a no go and deal breaker for me.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

3D is a gimmic for most uses. Its also dying on TV as ESPN dropped 3D broadcasting in sports which was where it would shine.

6. prism macrumors 6502a

True but you forgot to point out that it took them 6 years to do it!

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes. Six years under SJ.

You said his being gone was the reason why they were now conservative.

Can't have it both ways. Was the management conservative for six years under SJ? Or is the management conservative without SJ as evidenced by a radical restyling?

8. prism macrumors 6502a

You could argue that the main reason for the radical overhaul of the UI is a knee jerk reaction to the increasing competition from Android and now windows. If that pressure had not existed, I doubt there would have been a drive for such radical change. As for SJ, it was under his tenure that the iPhone came into existence, followed by the App Store, the iPad, the ATV...
    Under the new management starting in 2011, we haven't seen innovation, just refinement of existing products. Refinement buys you time but if it is not combined with innovation, you eventually shrivel and die.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There was no radical innovation or restyle in the OS so if anything the old management were conservative with it. The new management is not conservative in regards to iOS. Since this is the iOS 7 forum I assumed we were not discussing hardware.

Heck. Redesigned multitasking and command center were released at the same time. The old management would have spread that over two years. :)

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Everyone who has a Nintendo 3DS just turns off the 3D. Otherwise you can't get the thing to last 5 hours before it dies on you.

I can see them putting it on the next NVIDIA Shield, but not on a regular consumer tablet.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah they put a new skin on, and added a control panel, wow...

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Of course that's all they did. Nothing at all under the hood. No new system wide gestures. No changing long standing gestures. But even if you're right, would you say that it's a conservative skin?

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

IMO it is conservative. If anything it's more conservative than iOS6. The icons are flat, overly flat IMO, there was nothing wrong with some gradients and lighting effects on icons, I mean why do we have so much horsepower in our smartphones these days if we can't even get some shiny nice looking icons?!?! It just seems Apple and Ive went WAY overboard in trying to have a "simple" looking OS, where is the fun? Everything is off white on white, what kind of creativity does that require?

One of the things that first made me fall in love with "smartphones" was the ability to customize the desktop, icons, etc etc to my personality and liking. I used to spend hours on the weekends with a jailbroken iphone just so I could customize the icons, lock slider, etc., but these days I just don't have the patience and time to have to hack anything and would prefer I just be treated as an adult and have the ability to do it myself. It's in this sentiment that Apple also continues to be ultra conservative, not only in design, but in functionality and user freedom, or rather the lack of it.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If the update were conservative it would look a lot like iOS. For example, buttons would still look like buttons with text inside a border. But it doesn't because it wasn't a conservative update.

15. prism macrumors 6502a

I guess the word "conservative" in this context is very subjective!
    All I am saying is that the radical redesign of the OS at this point in time came more as a result of market pressure rather than new management style.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think it's a conservative back end change but a liberal UX change.

It's also impossible to say how long this change had been planned.

17. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I have the 3D off almost always on my 3DS, spare some cutscenes that I think will look cool in 3D.

3D is a battery killing gimmick. Even nintendo knows that now, seeing how they released the 2DS.

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

iOS7 DOES look like iOS6. To me it's just a skin, you still have the same exact rows of icons, the apps still have the same build, buttons, functionality, layout, etc, just different colors, gradients, etc. I could have done pretty much the same by just jailbreaking and replacing all the icons and changing the color scheme. About the only new thing is the control center, which is great but it's a bit sad to realize it's about 3-5 years overdue.

I'm not trying to disparage Apple, I still plan on buying a 5s and iOS works well for my phone needs. I just think iOS7 shouldn't be sugarcoated more than what it truly is, a skin with the control center.

19. FutureTechHope thread starter macrumors member

FutureTechHope

It's not like the 3DS at all. It has really improved. Good idea about the NVIDIA shield.

20. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The problem with these 3D displays is that you always have to look at them in just the right angle. Whereas with a normal screen, it doesn't matter how you look at it or hold it. 3D TVs can get away with it because they don't move (not that anyone would want a 3D TV anyways), but an iPad could be flipped around in any direction.

As soon as someone cracks that problem, only then will Apple bother, if they don't bother trying to themselves.

Besides, what's the benefit to a 3D display anyways?

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And they might. One day. When the codecs are around to make selling such movies on iTunes. And the tech is more mature.

So like in another 3-5 years minimum. That is apples style even when Steve was around. Which is why it took ages to get freaking copy and paste in iOS, first phones were edge only etc