3D iPad - Good idea if it not affect 2D ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know many view (view.... lol) 3D as a bit of a gimmic, however.

If Apple used the easier polarised method of 3D on a future iPad, so it did not in any way affect 2D looks or performance, but if you played a game or watched a movie with passive 3D glasses, then you would see the 3D

Anyone fancy that?

Personally I'd like it, if it had no detrimental affect on normal operation as it's then just a plus.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3D is nothing more than a gimmick. Can't wait until it recedes into deserved obscurity.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

That's what I thought, but you know......... I'm not so sure.

I've seen many programs now showing the millions that companies are investing as we speak into more high tech 3D camera equipment for sporting events and massive investment in the movie industry.

I also thought it was going to be a flash in the pan, but they really do seem to be investing major time, money and experience in 3D now.

lots of money and impressive equipment even here: http://youtu.be/clSUILKxW3w

4. mattg3 macrumors 6502

With possibility of retin display in ipad3 you wont need 3d

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

What on earth has a higher screen resolution got to do with 3D ?

Note: I'm not saying I want an iPad that is in 3D all the time
    I was just saying if it DID also offer 3D (passive 3D as in the LG TV's) so no fancy flickering glasses, then why not?

3D movies on iTunes in the future then perhaps?

6. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see Apple set a new standard for really brilliant contrast ratio (true black levels and all of that) after the retina display stuff is set up in probably all of their devices next year. If they put 3D technology before that, then I'd be kind of annoyed.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

3D isn't selling even in TVs. I can't see Apple putting 3D on any of their consumer products.

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's ironic that Pixar makes some of the best 3d movies and yet none of them can be viewed in 3d on an Apple device.

Everyone knows 3d is awesome when done well. Avatar. Mario 3d Land.

I think 3d is still evolving and maturing. Even Ridley Scott fell in love with 3d while making Prometheus.

The market is still deciding whether or not it's worth it. Current 3d tv technology sucks, but there is progress being made.

3d immersion in fps and sports games are not gimmicks. they are a huge help in dealing with depth and strategy.

9. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm not sure about it not selling as such.
    People I speak to are not going to rush out and buy a 3D set and throwing their normal one away, but I have spoken to a few and they all said pretty much the same thing that if they were going to buy a new set now, to last them say 5+ years then they'd probably get the 3D version if the price was not that much different to the normal version.

After all, you don't have to use the 3D feature, but say you did rent, or buy, on in the future download a 3D film then at least you could see it if you wanted.

10. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

People said the same thing about HD at its inception and look at us now.

11. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Maybe we run in different circles. I rememeber everyone being excited about the new technology. I don't recall anyone shooting it down as a "fad".

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I don't believe there's a mobile graphics chip that could power a 3d "retina" iPad display

13. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

true.

on the nintendo 3ds … when you turn on the 3d, the resolution takes a little hit.

14. psonice macrumors 6502a

Does anybody make a 3d touch panel? Think about it: how wrong is it going to feel, if you see a button floating in front (or behind) the screen, but you have to touch 'through' or 'in front' of the button to trigger it? 3D just doesn't work on a touchscreen. There are ways of detecting a finger in front of the screen, but you'll just be poking air, it'll still feel all kinds of wrong.

Another issue: 3d screens either require glasses (with a tablet? terrible idea!) or a special screen. All of the screens I've seen ONLY work in landscape mode. Turn it to portrait and you just get a double image. So far as I know, the technology to do a 3d screen you can turn around doesn't exist.

15. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Or you can turn it on and off depending on context and what you want, just like the 3ds. The 3ds also works without glasses at a certain distance.

16. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

It would have to be one orientation only due to the technology used.