3D iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Dec 8, 2010.

1. LadyHoneyBabe macrumors 6502

Now that Apple is acquiring the patent for 3D without using 3D glasses, I think they will find a way to put it on an iPad. Plus the star gazing app uses 3D, but the red and blue 3D glasses are needed.

It will be interesting to see how the whole Apple 3D on an iPad pans out.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Apple has thousands of unused patents just like every major tech company. They patent anything they can think of so that they can sue other companies down the line.

3. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

@#$% 3D. Waste of time for a gimmick that should have died a long time ago.

4. el-John-o macrumors 65816

It's not just that, they have teams of folks who file patents for everything they MIGHT do. Every little technological niche they might fill they will get a patent for, just in case they decide to pursue it, they can.

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Play GT5 in cockpit view with a wheel and head tracking in 3D mode and I think you will change your mind.

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

3D is not going to last

7. IamHermann0069 macrumors member

IamHermann0069

3D on a touchscreen just sounds like it could be extremely confusing....

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not really. See, you are holding your iPad, with all this colorful crap floating 2~3" above the screen, then the supercap or motion sensor detects your hand entering that area, and it all just falls to the surface, maybe bouncing a little as it settles, or creating little pond-rings or something.

I am sort of lucky, though, being basically stereo-blind. Not having to deal with that kind of glitzoid distraction is a good thing. I just hope they would let you turn it off to avoid distortion/image degradation.

9. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

3d...

I'd be more interested in specific apps that could utilize optional hardware to give 3D. For example, you could have 3d glasses controlled via bluetooth... and an app that interlaces the left/right eye view in-sync with the glasses. It certainly wouldn't work well for every app, but could be really interesting for a subset of apps... and possibly for movies. Anyway, I think it'd be a cool option to have.

to those who think that 3d is going away... think again. Video hardware manufacturers need some new feature to differentiate themselves. For a while it was "HD", but that's about maxed-out, so the next step is 3d. Interfaces aren't super right now, but that'll get better with time. Once people are comfortable with 3d on their televisions, they'll be more comfortable using it on computer devices... iPad included.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

IF there was an actual reason for it, other than LOOK GUYS ITS GOT MORE D's!!!! then it would be nice. Short of an actually reason, I really hope this 3D gimmick crap dies soon.

11. veterator macrumors member

veterator

I remember back in the 1970s when personal computers wouldn't last - there wasn't anything real to do with them.

12. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

App store already has an app available where a portion of the app is for use with red/cyan 3D glasses.

13. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

3D TVs were named one of the top 5 gifts you should return this christmas.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Yeah, there are new 3D TVs coming out next year that don't require 3D glasses, so why buy now and pay premium for glasses?

15. lovelost macrumors newbie

lovelost

I heard from someone in the advertising industry that 3D was going to be a feature of the next pad, and this was weeks before the recent stories about Apple buying those 3D patents.

There probably isn't much if any truth in it. But given that Hollywood is still sold on 3D for features, and Jobs' relationship with that industry and holy grail desire to tie Apple devices into home entertainment, and also their pursuit of iAds (where gimmickry is key), maybe it isn't that far fetched.

16. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I tried to watch one of those fancy 3D tv's at BestBuy yesterday and all it did was annoy the hell out of me. Not really impressed with the technology and I am pretty sure I can do with out it.

17. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

They should leave hd and start using UHDTV (7,680 × 4,320) that would be much better than the head ache 3D crap they are selling now.

18. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

3d would definately be interesting on a touch screen.

Could you imagine just a simply app like Kio Pond? The water being level with the surface and the fish floating beneith?

Or just the home page with the apps staying level and the background having depth?

Or the keyboard having actual depth to it?

I think 3d has a spot... But you need:

- No glasses. I think the 3ds has this one right - well see how well it works out.

- worry more about depth and less about "pop". The 3d I've seen that just subtly added depth to backgrounds and various other things really worked well. Nobody wants that crap popping into your face.

19. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I agree. 3D is dumb and should have never made a comeback. I don't think it will last, and who the heck would want to watch TV with a pair off glasses on. I have to admit, I do not like 3D because it makes me queezy.

20. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

the new nintendo 3ds uses this 3d technology without glasses and it is my understanding is you can both turn it off and change the distance of the 3d effect. its kinda funky how it works though by splitting the screen up. i dont know if it would be viable on a hi res screen like the ipad. its also why you dont see it on full size tvs yet. the screen res. personally i dont want it or will turn it off. 3d messes with my eyes to much.

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

22. tpavur macrumors regular

This months issue of mac life talks about this.