3D Ken Burns Effect w/Film not Photos---Anyone Know How?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tmhopper, Sep 1, 2012.

1. tmhopper macrumors newbie

What i want to do is creating a layered film.

same concept as in photoshop when you have a picture and remove a person, than start removing objects to create layers so as to create a 3d ken burns effect.

How do i create a 3d ken burns effect with film? is there a way to pen tool lets say a object with in a film and the object is followed and everything else is cut out?

So if i had a film of a guy surfing for thirty seconds I would want to:

1. removed the surfer and create a thirty second moving layer of him

2. remove the wave and create a moving layer

3. remove the sun

and so on so on

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

After Effects would be a good solution, although it sounds like what you want to do involves a lot of rotoscoping, which wouldn't be easy.

3. ibennetch macrumors member

^^^ This, exactly this. There are some plugins that might make it easier, but in general it's going to involve a lot of work. I don't use any of those plugins (so no recommendations), and CS5 introduced the Rotobrush tool anyway which might be enough for you. ppc_michael may have under-stated the amount of work involved, especially if your scene is complex, but rotoscoping with After Effects seems the best choice. Good luck.

4. daybreak macrumors 6502a

If you have Final Cut Pro 7 you could achieve that effect and would save you a lot of hard work.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Uh, no you can't. I don't think you know what he's talking about.

As other have said, this would require a ton of roto work. If successful it could look pretty cool, but it'll take a good amount of trial and error.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Um yeah, you can. Just activate speech control and tell FCP X to "cut out that person from the waves and make it a Ken Burns effects" "Oh, and do the same with the sun". It's works really great!

7. CaptainChunk, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Frame by frame roto work is really the only way to achieve to what you're thinking about doing. Rotoscoping involves drawing a mask around the object you want to track and then adjusting that mask EVERY SINGLE FRAME as it moves. It's beyond tedious, and your results are going to vary greatly on the quality of the video you're working with. Just to put things in perspective, isolating your surfer in a 30-second clip at 30 fps would be 900 frames to roto. That's a LOT of work.

Don't count on any NLE (like FCP) for roto work. Their matte and masking tools really aren't up to task. You really need a motion graphics program like After Effects to do this.

Like mentioned before, AE CS5 and up have the new roto brush tool that makes rotoscoping a bit easier (it analyzes the movement of the "object" inside your mask to predict its changes/movement), but it's still a lot of work, even with that. I've used the roto brush a few times in AE and it isn't perfect. You still have to make fine adjustments to the mask every few frames to get things spot-on.

8. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

And when, after that little bit of work, you have all the layers and start 3D moving, you have black holes in the layers with the objects cut out. So you will have to 'side-smear' the pixels on the edge (make them a bit larger) to fill the holes.