3D live surface scanner!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mech-mr, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mech-mr macrumors newbie

Last week was checking hopelessly to find a good 3D surface modeler on app store and came across this video on the youtube about something called 3DSurfScan (just google the name and videos will pop). I checked and app was not released.

Apple released the app on Friday and I tried the damn thing! Holy crap! it generates live models as you see them with the camera, and you can change the damn model and export it in realtime! I was thinking live view on my digital SLR is a cool thing, no I have a live 3D surface modeler on my iPhone for a buck! And I can use the model on any CAD station!!! This is just too cool to be true! but it is! Just check the video and you will see.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYiEqrnArHM

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

This is your first post on MacRumors? If you are going to do sales, at least be upfront about your affiliation with the company.

Nonetheless, cool app.

4. mech-mr thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not a software geek and barely see anything worth mechanical in the apps in apple store (CAD, modeling) with real output. got so excited with this one that decided to share! Not sure if any mechanical/CAD freaks like me are in here.;)

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. looks like it just generates a 'model' based on brightness. Which (although I'm saying this as a graphics programmer) is fairly trivial to do, but actually fairly useless in most situations because the 3d mesh ends up nothing like the actual object. Still fun to play with though, and it will capture say a while logo on a black background perfectly (and with careful lighting it'll capture some objects well).

Or does it do something more complex? It is possible to make a reasonable 3d mesh from video.. and if they've managed that in realtime, on a phone.. well, I'll be incredibly impressed :)

6. mech-mr thread starter macrumors newbie

no interruption

You are right. It is based on the lighting condition and model changes with light. just like the ones on PC/MAC that they make a 3D model from a picture. Works good when I am after the texture or a low depth item.
    The big benefit is its live mode and live control on the height. Technique is limited (using the gray scale to add height) but two extra addition of live mode and live control on the height makes it fairly practical. You can also email the 3D file but I like the export function that creates/saves the 3D file without interrupting the live view. Reminds me of my SLR camera and its burst per seconds, but this one is on my phone and bursts 3D CAD files, Live, no interruption!!!

7. psonice macrumors 6502a

Some software actually does a reasonable job of "real" 3d recreation, working out the shape from the lighting and shadows or by tracking points on the surface as you move the camera around. I've seen some pretty amazing demonstrations of this.

On the other hand, achieving something like that is HARD. Achieving that in realtime, extremely hard. On a phone? You'd need god-like super powers ;)

8. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

It's a very cool, imaginative app, but the results are too poor for any professional use. Looks like great fun for playing around with though.