Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Hello... I have a specific need that I'm not sure how to resolve--hoping it's easy enough...

I'm looking to buy 3D models of objects online that I want to be able to rotate and then export for final placement in photoshop.

I'd be great if I could import my photoshop background image into the background of the 3D program, so that I can size, rotate and place the model of the object more accurately--but i want to export only the object and then import that back into photoshop. If this can be done, what file formats can be exported as still images? What size/resolution?

Basically that's what I want to do.
What software will allow me to do that?

Free is good, but willing to pay for something that will do the trick and work with some of the more detailed models I see out there (sometimes I see these chunky blocky models, I'm looking for more detail)--specifically I'm looking for guns, weapons, military tanks, missiles, etc. They don't have to look textured, colored and "real", but I need the shape and accuracy of the object.

Which online 3D model providers create their models in a format Mac can support. Which are good, better, best? I see a lot of sites on the web that sell 3D models (I don't want to make my own), but it's so confusing and some seem PC only (and there are so many formats it seems). Which are good and mac compatible?

I totally have no idea where to start, so this may be very easy to do.

Thanks for any advice.

Best,

R

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
Most 3D objects are available for sale in .OBJ (wavefront OBJ) format and any decent 3D application will import and export OBJ's. It is probably the most commonly used 3D file type. The OS platform is irrelevant.

I personally model my own stuff (with Modo and ZBrush), but there are lots of stores online for stock 3D models if you don't plan getting your hands dirty (I hear Turbosquid is very popular). The quality of the models vary, so make sure you can see a decent preview before you purchase. A lot of very decent models are also available for free if you search online and again the quality varies (as does the licensing).

Your 3D needs sound pretty modest and Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended will import OBJ's (PS Standard will not), so you can import, move rotate etc. right there in Photoshop without the need for a 3D app. However if you do need a dedicated 3d application you will want one with a built in renderer, to render images and export them as .tiff or .psd files at any resolution you choose.

Applications vary wildly in price (from free and Open Source to expensive industry investment) and they also vary wildly in accessibility for the newcomer. 3D also asks a lot of your hardware, so you will need to make sure your system can handle things well enough. The best thing to do is check out lots of demos for yourself to decide just how much you want to dip your toes into 3D. It's a massive industry.

Good luck.

rdbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Great Reply

Thank you MotleyPete for a great response with great links. I like the idea of CS4 because I'm working in photoshop to begin with and if I can rotate/size/place the model right there, it'd save the exporting/importing. Sadly I have CS3, but I'll look into how much CS4 is. Have you heard of Cheetah? It seems cheap and relatively easy compared to Maya and those high end programs that might be overkill for my needs. But I'll look in to the free programs as well.

Again, thanks for your time.

Best,

R

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
Cool.

I've heard of Cheetah and I've also heard some good things about it, so I gave the demo a quick spin this morning. There's a lot there, it's a decent app and it'll do all the things you're asking (very well too). You can't knock the price either. Good value for the 3D beginner.

You would be able to do far more things with Cheetah than you would with Photoshop CS4 Extended (PS4 Ext is very limited in the 3D department). Definitely worth trying the demo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.