Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Ooo cool can! I'm using Blender. I have an animation class and the teacher is trying to get everyone to hand draw the stuff. I asked her if I can use some animation software to make my stuff and she said yeah. I'll put a walk cycle up, once I get it refined.

Blender is great, once you get a workflow going. It took me quite awhile to pick it up again, but now it's fairly easy. It doesn't help that I don't have a office/desk for my PC at home. I was just talking to someone yesterday about Lightwave. I definitely want to check it out, the renderings look awesome in it. Had a friend that LOVES Zbrush. He is an artist though, I don't know if that program offers anything for animating.

Thank you very much for your comment.
Personally I love blender. It can do almost anything that the commercial 3D programs can do. You can also use external raytracing renderers like Luxrender. The first moments with blender in the past was painful, but once you use it for a week or more and learn it, you will love it.
Zbrush is an amazing sculpting tool. Blender have sculpting tools too.
Blender is open source and free, so this is another big plus for blender. :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Thank you very much for your comment.
Personally I love blender. It can do almost anything that the commercial 3D programs can do...
nice job :) the dew drops, is that full on dynamic particles? Ive never used Blender just wondering how finite their Particles System are.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Do a lot of 3D myself, I personally use C4D.

Did this the other day, took about 6/7 hours.

sackboys_by_theaaronp-d37vj7t.jpg

This one took me about 12-14 hours, and was for a competition for the game EVE-Online.

silurus__minmatar_science_ship_by_theaaronp-d2ya4bk.jpg

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
nice job :) the dew drops, is that full on dynamic particles? Ive never used Blender just wondering how finite their Particles System are.

Thank you for your comment.
The water droplets were created using a particle system and some low resolution 3D models of droplets.

You can see some more photos and read some details (the article) about the creation in the following link (the site is pretty new and I haven't post many creations there. Maybe I will post only my newer creations - year 2011 and beyond)
http://www.vbobolas.com/2011/01/22/inferno-burn-out-your-thirst/

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
vbob, wouldn't mind seeing some examples of your work, the title of "3D/2D/Video Editing and Special Effects Artist" is an impressive one, I imagine you have a portfolio online?

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
vbob, wouldn't mind seeing some examples of your work, the title of "3D/2D/Video Editing and Special Effects Artist" is an impressive one, I imagine you have a portfolio online?

I am building my online portfolio at the link I gave in my previous post.
I started it this month. You are welcome to visit it. :)

Ps.: very impressive your creation.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Very nice work everyone! (That ship is REALLY nice) I wish I could model like that but sadly I don't have the time for it :( Programming is eating up all my time :(

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Very nice work everyone! (That ship is REALLY nice) I wish I could model like that but sadly I don't have the time for it :( Programming is eating up all my time :(

In the same boat, kind of. I do a lot of the stuff above, but would like to learn more on the programming side but don't have the time.

Thanks though, the ship was widely recieved in the competition it was entered into, but unfortunately did not win.

:(

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah, great work on the ship. You did all the textures yourself?

The Ships textures were done myself, on the SackBoy model above, the Skin texture was done by me, but the camo fabric and wool material are both manipulated from stock photos. Turned out pretty well i think.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Great job on the spaceship textures!.

Here is something i've been working on for a few weekends now, modeling of the orc was done in Sculptris and the rest in Cinema4D/Photoshop. Not quite finished yet but i think its coming together pretty nicely so i thought i'd share.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Great job on the spaceship textures!.

Here is something i've been working on for a few weekends now, modeling of the orc was done in Sculptris and the rest in Cinema4D/Photoshop. Not quite finished yet but i think its coming together pretty nicely so i thought i'd share.

Wow that is really really nice! Great work!

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada
Maya + ZBrush or 3DSMax + ZBrush FTW.

It's a shame Max isn't out on Mac.. I haven't touched 3d in a few years but it's always fun to dive into.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I ADORE ZBrush even though I suck at it. I even bought a license when ZBrush 4 was announced. I don't really suck at it I just don't have time to play with it due to school being freaking insane as of late with regards to homework requirements. :(

Once I graduate though I'll have time to work on things like a portfolio haha.

AppleToApples

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Vray?

What about Vray for rendering or Maxwell? they are very good as well? or am i way off the topic? hahaha....:confused:
I am an Architecture student.. currently I have Vray on my Windows computer but wanna get it for my new iMac that i recently purchased:apple:. At the same time i wanna keep my options open. I've been doing some research as to what rendering program i should use but haven't had any feed back. So now im here to ask... I am usually working on Sketchup and Autocad.. any suggestions anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.