3d Modeling

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BigJohno, Oct 28, 2010.

1. BigJohno macrumors 65816

Has anyone tested out the new 13" MBA with any type of 3d modeling software like Rhino, Alias solidworks? I have a 2009 15"mbp and the new airs are looking really nice. I do all of my rendering on a i7 imac. I just would like to get your guys feedback on how the performance when using those programs on the 13" air.

Thanks.

2. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

You could lol but rendering times would be way to long. Best to have a imac or macpro.

3. brucem91 macrumors 6502

you could probably run blender on it no problem. I personally use Autodesk Maya, and it *might* run on a new air. But I imagine that since you are doing all your rendering on your i7 iMac, all you are wondering is if you can model on the go. If the apps you use aren't fast enough on the air, you could probably try blender, as all you are doing is modeling anyway. When done, you can export from blender in .obj, .3ds, .fbx, ect to get back into any other program you may use. That is what I would do anyway if I were to get an Air and Maya was running poorly.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I plan to run Bryce 7 on my MacBook Air when it arrives, render some pretty cool scenes with mountains and water, that sort of thing. Bryce 7 is now a free download. I can't wait till it arrives!!

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Really?!? When did that happen?

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

7. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks I wish they had an Air with windows on it at the Apple store. I definitely wouldn't render. My current mbp cant even do that well.