Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigredmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Hi,

I came across this the other day.

Using After Effects, Sony Vegas, 3D Max they turn photos into a spectacular 3D digital albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McJbJgzrQw

http://www.magicpictures.com/

Is there anything out there that does a similar job on the Apple side of things? Can FCP allow me to create something similar?

Basically I want to go about creating wedding albums that are a bit more than the usual ken burns effect montage based executions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Red

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
that's a good question. i think motion can do some of these affects, but I haven't used it much. I've seen a few demos and tutorials and it looks great.

I think a larger part of how great these look is the professional photos taken. If you're not shooting yourself, I have to wonder how good clients' photos will turn out?

It's an interesting concept - part of me likes it, but part of me wonders how 'dated' the result will look in a few years. ie. kind of like how VHS done weddings from the 80s/90s look now with their cheesy graphics.

This example does look like it might last over time, but i'm just wondering.

The other issue is pricing:
MagicPictures is 295 pounds for 20 photos and 13.50 pounds for every additional one. I understand the amount of work to be done would be extensive, but that is alot of coin. Your clients would have to be high end for sure I would think.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I have done this successfully in after effects (30 day trial available)

It basically involves cutting the important parts of the photo (normally a foreground, middle and background) and then creating a background around them so when they move there won't be a blank image but a continuation of the background behind them.

For my first photo it took around an hour to do for a 8 second pan from low right to top right but the affect is good and I do have people wondering how I did it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.