3D Performance of New MBP vs Nvidia 1070 Mobile Chips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YoYoMa, Nov 13, 2016.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Love the design of the new MBP - my only concern is the GPU (and the RAM too but to a lesser extent). Can anyone clarify what the performance difference would be for 3D and After Effects with the top MBP GPU vs something like the Razer Blade Pro with the Nvidia 1070? Would love to stick with Apple if the performance difference isn't too terrible.

2. killawat macrumors 65816

The GTX 1070/1080 for notebook has a TDP that's higher than an entire MacBook Pro, let that sink in first.
    It'll be extremely insanely more powerful than the lowly 450-460 in the MBP. Add in Windows optimizations for 3D and its a great platform. MBP will be able to get the job done but you'll have a lot more fun with the Blade Pro.

3. leman macrumors G3

The 1070 is about 4 times new faster than the 460 pro. How will this performance translate to video processing apps? No idea

4. leman macrumors G3

BTW, here are some real-world benchmarks. As expected, there is very little difference in performance between a very fast and a very slow GPU. I say 'as expected', because in real projects, the video editing software can't utilise the full potential of the GPU. The bottleneck is on the software side. Of course, some workflows will be able to benefit from the GPU better than others.

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Premiere-Benchmark.htm
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-After-Effects-CC-2015-3-Pascal-GPU-Performance-846/

P.S. If I understand correctly, Final Cut Pro is very good at utilising the GPU, this is why people report such great performance vs. other applications. And overall, OS X makes it very easy to build very fast and efficient apps, because it ships with tons of high-quality APIs that are optimised to the extreme.