3D picture effect - How to do it?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CrEsTo, Jul 17, 2007.

1. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Hi folks, I'm totally new to video editing.

That being said, I'm trying to achieve the spicyapple's generations video effect of the last pictures.

It's a normal picture with a 3D zoom effect and dynamic background.

Any clue? :eek:

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

There was really long thread about this (spicyapple's video) a while back. You might be able to find it in a search. Basically the conclusion was there's no "easy" way to do this...

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Youll need a photo editing program, and at least SOME skills in visual composition.

Take your photo and create a new layer by cutting out the object you want to move.

Move the object to where youd like it to be at the end of the animation.

Anything that is now a blank hole in the background, use your 1337 skills to clone and or fix these areas. Now it should look like the photo is 100% normal, just missing the object you want to move. Like a person.

Now, import the file with layers. Or export the 2 layers as 2 files.

Within your video editor you can now move the object over time with keyframes. Because you fixed the background to look like it doesnt have that "hole" where the object was, it should look like how you want.

Anything more than that, Google the ken burns effect for some ideas.

4. CrEsTo thread starter macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

Thanks for your help, it sounds kinda complicated but I will try it.
    :)

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The "ken burns effect" is just zooming/panning a 2D image. What you are describing (and what the OP wants) is sometimes referred to as "2.5D" as well as the "The Kid Stays in the Picture effect". Using the method you describe will work for a simple effect, but to get the effect looking most like you see it used requires an app that can work in 3D space (such as the current version of Motion and After Effects).

Lethal

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I brought up the Ken Burns effect to give an idea of the motions involved.

You would do better with After Effects, of course, because it handles layered compositing much better than FCP.

But, if you need to use FCP, using layers isnt all that bad. Just create your "backgrounds" and "objects" and import.