3D Realms closes down

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dagless, May 7, 2009.

1. Cander macrumors 6502

2. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Is there truth to this story I wonder? It's a tad unbelievable. If the bit about the chair were true, I'd loose any respect I might have had for those devs (that's probably not saying much).

4. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I believe that 3DRealms was a company that talked about how working for them was different because they had none of the attrition that other companies were having during the Dot Com Bubble burst. But the lack of products, combined with a decline of the gaming economy, did not help this company. Duke Nukem 3D provided many hours of entertainment for me, particularly after I learned how to hack the CON files.

Of course, it's obvious what really happened. Duke was abducted by the Rigelatin forces again while writing his new book, "Why I Will Be Great Again", and 3DRealms has been covering up the abduction. Now, all of the 3DRealms people have blasted into space in search of Duke, and that's why the company seems to have disappeared.

5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Really? You seem like a reasonable dude. You really have to wonder if that chair story is true? The chair bit is where I had to chuckle, because the preceding bits were sooo almost believable and up till then, I was buying the story, hook, line and sinker.

What do you think is more likely? A bunch of game devs and publishers, essentially overgrown boys, manage to keep a potentially criminal conspiracy a secret for the better part of a decade OR these same people were just so incredibly incompetent that they failed?

Personally, I stopped caring about DNF years and years ago. I simply couldn't care less about a video game. Well, except to use it as a butt of a joke.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Well, it seemed fake, but the idea itself is almost believable because it's so unbelievable that they could be so incompetent as to not be able to finish the game in a decade.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Agreed, it's totally absurd. But then, I think calling them incompetent is being generous. When you read first hand accounts of these guys and people like them, ie ION Storm Dallas, a few things pop out at you. One is that these guys have no discipline and another is that these are people in need of adult supervision because they're obviously not capable of providing for themselves.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They should have just delivered something.

http://duke.a-13.net/
    History with videos, with what else were actually accomplished in that time for comparison. LOL.

They even included a few bits on Apple under Fun Facts
    - Computer
    - Economy
    - Pop culture
    - Via xkcd

9. Riverbird macrumors member

I'm not at all surprised. DNF was supposed to be out in 97. Instead we got a bunch of lame spin off games of Duke Nukem, leaving Duke 1 2 & 3D as the only good Duke games. I stopped believing this game would come out years ago ><