3D Rendering on MacBook Pro with Retina display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shahidkapoor, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Shahidkapoor macrumors member

Shahidkapoor

Hello,
    I've got a RMBP and use it for Architecture and interior design. I'm interested in buying a good 3D rendering software from the Mac app store.

Why I want particularly from mac app store is because the updates are free and usually when you buy from a website and when a new version comes up, they charge you for it.

So, do you know any good 3D rendering software on mac app store / any other rendering software in which updates or new versions are free to update.

I've put this in this MBP section coz this is much active than the other design section.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. auhlixer macrumors regular

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

just to clarify, this is not always the case. updates are not always free and theres no guarantee that apps in the app store will remain there. in fact, a lot of companies have abandoned the app store because its too limiting.

5. Shahidkapoor thread starter macrumors member

Shahidkapoor

Thank you, I'll try that.

I model my room in Sketchup/ Live interior 3D and they are in .dae format. Do you think Blender will open that format? Or do you know what formats are generally compatible with blender?

6. Shahidkapoor thread starter macrumors member

Shahidkapoor

true. I agree. But I don't know why I feel safe/ good when I buy an app from app store rather than buying from a website. lol I just prefer the app store.

I really wish Apple made an app for 3D designers as they have made Aperture for Photographers and Logic studio for Musicians. And even the Graphic designers are covered with Pixelmator though not by apple, but still it's good for the price.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't know all that much about blender, but I know something that does: Clicky ;)

8. IPlayFair macrumors member

Nice trick, how did you do that with Google search?

9. mlfarrell macrumors member

You may want to check out my Verto Studio app. It should be retina ready and I plan on putting out even more support after my rmbp arrives next week.

I will warn that the DAE support is currently not 100% however, waiting for ML to become more standard so I can rely on scene kit which has a flawless DAE importer.

10. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Cheetah 3d is pretty good for 3d on the app store. Also check out Strata 3D on the app store. Its a bit old school nowadays but considering your looking at architecture a pretty good purchase....

11. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

:D

12. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Try freecad. There's an osx build (for lion) and it's free...

13. ecnal macrumors newbie

If you are going to be pursuing this professionally (ie: more then just the occaisionally paying hobby)- then I don't think you should be looking to the appstore for pro level 3d programs.
    There will invariably be a large learning curve with most 3d programs (sketchup being the exception, but even then to get the most out of it takes time), so investing in a program that is industry recognized and will skill you up for the future is a plus.

Generally speaking, the good 3d packages are very expensive.

Cinema 4d started as a native mac 3d package, and remains the best option for pro level work imho. At about 3k, it is expensive. The render engine in cinema 4d is ok, but for architectural rendering you would be looking at getting Vray as a plugin.

Vray is by far the most common rendering engine for architectural work. There is a vray plugin for sketchup on windows, but not yet on mac. Vray also is available for 3dstudio max (similar in functionality to cinema 4d, but on windows).

Another option that is to use Rhino osx beta (currently free, will remain in beta for another year at least) for your modelling requirements. Rhino is an extremely competent architectural modeller, and on windows it has a vray plugin (will probably have to wait for the full release of rhino osx before vray put a product out). The renders available in rhino are very basic without plugins at the moment, so it is more of a modelling program until plugin render engines become available.

14. Neeeol, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Neeeol macrumors newbie

I have downloaded FreeCAD and BRL-CAD, but neither will start. There is no error message, the software just refuses to launch. My guess is that I am missing some library, but I cannot find any support or any lists of prerequisites.

Can anyone guide me in getting these to run? I am using OS X 10.8.5 with all the latest updates.

Thanks in advance.

15. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Try the dmg in this thread:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4811#wrap

16. Neeeol macrumors newbie

Thanks. I did not download the file yet, but found out something. I had downloaded both v11 and v12 of FreeCAD and to distinguish them had renamed them, FreeCAD.12.app, for instance. When I renamed it back to FreeCAD.app it launched.

Thanks.

17. leftyMac macrumors regular

I totally agree with this statement. I used to do a lot of 3D using 3D Max on PC, and recently I started relearning 3D in cinema 4D (just download a trial version and see if you like it). With a very little learning curve, I am already almost up to where I was in 3D Max. Cinema 4D feels very complete, very intuitive, there are tons of tutorials on YouTube for it.

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Thanks ecnal,

I appreciate the insight...but have a question or two. Apologies to the OP, but I think relative to the conversation. I'm an occasional Cinema4d user in our studio but sound and AE are my usual chairs. I wasn't aware there was a plug in (VRay) active for the rendering. (I'm never a 'finalizer'---more of an 'add file to' user, over the shoulder ;)). We've got C4D on a pair of a half dozen Mac Pros in the studio. They're both 12 core, 32GB RAM rigs...and our designers are studs. Is there a need....regardless of Mac...to plug in VRay? Or is this for rMBPs only? Reading back through you are pretty specific to architectural rendering but is it suggested for 'speed' or performance increase in rendering 'other' models? As well, is Autodesk not 'quite' there yet for Mac? AutoCAD? Maya? Just curious as I'm in your camp.

To the OP...This is sage advice. If you plan to 'make a living' doing 3d modeling, find one, download the trial. Spend $25 and 20-30 hours @ lynda.com learning 'your choice'. If at the end of the trial you're not satisfied, intrigued or overwhelmed, you'll know. $3-4k can be expected to do it right...and with file interactivity/compatibility amongst associates. Then, depending what your time is worth...you'll put a hundred hours in to really learn the software (depending on your experience now...that could vary considerably)----& a lifetime to 'master' it:)

Good Luck!

J