3D rotate effect in Illustrator

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by nyutnyut, Aug 19, 2009.

1. nyutnyut macrumors member

Is there a way to apply 3D rotate, so it's not just an effect, but the way an object is all the time?

thanks in advance.

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

With the use of perspective, you can draw what looks like a 3D object, but I don't know of any way to create a true 3D object in Illustrator. It's just a drawing tool and has no real awareness of volume. The 3D effects are just transformed into 2D when you hit Enter/Return.

Dale

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is a way. I don't have Illustrator on this computer, so I'll have to check when I'm at work tomorrow, but I believe that you need to find a way to "expand appearance" (I think?) of the effect. Look under the Object menu, perhaps?

4. nyutnyut thread starter macrumors member

this was exactly it. thank you very much.

5. usclaneyj macrumors regular

Heads up: Be mindful of those expanded 3D objects. If you've applied lighting/shading or anything, 'Expand Appearance' will create lots of overlapping shapes to fake the shadows. It can make for a really nasty grouped object.

6. TenPoundMonkey macrumors member

this.

plus, every slice in gradient shading becomes a separate object.

7. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

If you don't want any problems, the best you can do, after you finish the 3D object, is to rasterize it to a high resolution (aka 300+ dpi) PSD or TIFF file.