3D Software: Anyone using the Houdini 9.5 Mac OS X beta?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Cromulent, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just noticed that Houdini is coming to Mac OS X in July and was just wondering how many people are planning on giving it a whirl? Looks pretty good, especially seeing as the personal version is only $99 (a little cheaper than the full price of $7,995 :)).

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I just downloaded the beta. I'm not sure how fond I am of the interface, coming from Blender, and I do already miss Blender's composite nodes. But I guess it's not at all bad for $99. :)

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

The fact that it is fully programable is incredibly powerful. Just such a shame the Mac OS X version does not support GLSL yet. Got the Vista 64bit version running in Boot Camp as well and for the first time ever I actually think the Mac version is faster on a late ported application to the platform.

4. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

The beta does not have the particles and other goodies though does it?

5. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not sure. Only just started using it very recently. But I don't think the $99 version does either. IIRC you would need to shell out for the full version at a princely sum of $7,995. Might need to cancel the summer holidays for that :p.

6. rmagee macrumors newbie

You can join the beta using the FREE Houdini Apprentice Edition. This version contains all of the features of the high-end Houdini Master (including particles and dynamics) but has some restrictions (unobtrusive watermark, render size, only for non-commercial use). There is also a $99 version of Apprentice that removes the watermark and increases the size restrictions to HD. This version also has particles and dynamics and is for non-commercial uses such as personal projects or demo reel development.

here are the details:
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221