Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Since the upgrade to Tiger broke Amorphium (and EI certainly isn't going to release a bug fix :rolleyes: :mad: ), I'm looking for a new 3D program.

I mostly use Amorphium for 3D logo animation. The main reason I bought it a few years back was that it was quite powerful and the learning curve wasn't too bad.

Now I'm looking for something new, and could use some suggestions. A lot of the programs I've tried out seem overwhelming at first glance... which I can handle, but I'd prefer something that's easier to learn.

If anyone has any suggestions as to 3D software, I really appreciate it!

BTW - I'm hoping not to pay more than $1000. The cheaper, the better, though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this one!

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i use lightwave for school and find it very easy to use, with a bunch of features for people who know what they're doing (not me). i know it'll import 3dsmax and maya models but i dont know about amorphium. it's $247 at studica if you're a student but i'm not sure of the restrictions on commercial use with that license.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
homerjward said:
i use lightwave for school and find it very easy to use, with a bunch of features for people who know what they're doing (not me). i know it'll import 3dsmax and maya models but i dont know about amorphium. it's $247 at studica if you're a student but i'm not sure of the restrictions on commercial use with that license.

Thanks! I'll check it out! (I'm still open to suggestions, in the mean time.) I'll let you know how I like it! :)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
hotwire132002 said:
Thanks! I'll check it out! (I'm still open to suggestions, in the mean time.) I'll let you know how I like it! :)

Is there a trial available, by chance? Before spending $800 or so on a 3D program, I prefer to try it out. I couldn't find one on the site...

Just wondering. Thanks for the suggestion - I'm still looking into it! :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
hotwire132002 said:
Is there a trial available, by chance? Before spending $800 or so on a 3D program, I prefer to try it out. I couldn't find one on the site...

Just wondering. Thanks for the suggestion - I'm still looking into it! :)
unfortunately i dont think there is. a friend of mine has "discovery edition" but that's version 7.5 (current is 8.5 btw). i didnt think of that when i mentioned it...:eek:

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
homerjward said:
unfortunately i dont think there is. a friend of mine has "discovery edition" but that's version 7.5 (current is 8.5 btw). i didnt think of that when i mentioned it...:eek:

Darn. I'll still look into it, but I always hate buying expensive software without a trial.

In the mean time, I'm looking at some other options as well. We'll see what happens - and I'm still open to suggestions. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
hotwire132002 said:
Darn. I'll still look into it, but I always hate buying expensive software without a trial.

In the mean time, I'm looking at some other options as well. We'll see what happens - and I'm still open to suggestions. :)

Perhaps this is one of those almost-justifiable situations where you could "illegally" download a copy to conduct your own demo. I know this isn't right, but if you have every intention of paying for the product if you do indeed like it, or removing it if you don't like it, this could technically be another option for you, albeit questionable... :eek:

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
~Shard~ said:
Perhaps this is one of those almost-justifiable situations where you could "illegally" download a copy to conduct your own demo. I know this isn't right, but if you have every intention of paying for the product if you do indeed like it, or removing it if you don't like it, this could technically be another option for you, albeit questionable... :eek:

Thanks, but no thanks. Downloading illegally is just not something I can do. I get the point, and understand your logic, but still... I couldn't bring myself to download it.

I downloaded the trial version of Cinema 4D - and as "oh my god, I'll never be able to learn this!" as it looked at first, within fifteen minutes of opening it I managed to import a logo I designed in PhotoShop (this is just a black and white bitmap image, by the way), animate it with a rotation, and render the thing. Not as bad as it looks! Plus, C4D was able to create a much better looking and higher-resolution image than Amorphium could - and it was actually not only much easier, but processed much faster as well in C4D. I think I'll end up buying the full version tomorrow! :)

I'll let you all know how it goes.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
hotwire132002 said:
Thanks, but no thanks. Downloading illegally is just not something I can do. I get the point, and understand your logic, but still... I couldn't bring myself to download it.

Don't blame you at all, I'm the same way - just throwing that out there as an option. :)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
~Shard~ said:
Don't blame you at all, I'm the same way - just throwing that out there as an option. :)

Fair enough :)

I think I'm going with Cinema 4D. It's really easy to do what I need now, and it's really powerful for when I need more capability in the future. It looked impossible to learn when I first opened it, but with a couple quick online tutorials, it's really easy to work with.

This is why companies should always release demos - After playing with C4D for half an hour, I wouldn't go back to Amorphium.

Now, NewTek, if you're listening... I would have considered LightWave as well, if you had a demo! ;) :rolleyes:

In any case - C4D it is. :)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
hotwire132002 said:
Since the upgrade to Tiger broke Amorphium (and EI certainly isn't going to release a bug fix :rolleyes: :mad: ), I'm looking for a new 3D program.

I mostly use Amorphium for 3D logo animation. The main reason I bought it a few years back was that it was quite powerful and the learning curve wasn't too bad.

Now I'm looking for something new, and could use some suggestions. A lot of the programs I've tried out seem overwhelming at first glance... which I can handle, but I'd prefer something that's easier to learn.

If anyone has any suggestions as to 3D software, I really appreciate it!

BTW - I'm hoping not to pay more than $1000. The cheaper, the better, though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this one!

Since you are used to Amorphium what about EI? It great for logo work and it's under $1000. They also have a demo now. I found Lightwave much harder than EI.

I you like C4D there is nothing wrong with that. At some point if you want to get deeper into this, skip Lightwave and go to Maya.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
hotwire132002 said:
This is why companies should always release demos - After playing with C4D for half an hour, I wouldn't go back to Amorphium.

Now, NewTek, if you're listening... I would have considered LightWave as well, if you had a demo! ;) :rolleyes:

In any case - C4D it is. :)
C4D is a fantastic program that continues to get better year after year, I think you will be very happy with it. In my opinion it strikes a nearly perfect balance between power and ease of use. There's a few things it can't do that Maya can, but for anything C4D will almost certainly be faster and less painful to get there. For anything short of motion picture effects (and it's starting to be used for that more) or hardcore character animation, C4D is my first choice. I've been using it since version 5 and I highly recommend it without hesitation.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
~Shard~ said:

You can't illegally download Lightwave - in order to use the software in non-explorer mode, you need a usb dongle. You get that when you buy it.

D

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
ATD said:
Since you are used to Amorphium what about EI? It great for logo work and it's under $1000. They also have a demo now. I found Lightwave much harder than EI.

I you like C4D there is nothing wrong with that. At some point if you want to get deeper into this, skip Lightwave and go to Maya.

At this point, I refuse to buy anything from Electric Image - their support is terrible. It's been a year and a half or so since Tiger came out and they're too lazy to release a bug fix to make their software work! I really don't want to risk that one.

As much as I'd like to get Maya, it's a bit expensive right now. (And, because I'm running a business, the PLE won't cut it for me.) So, C4D it is :) I've been very happy with the demo, so I'll be ordering to full version today.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
HiRez said:
C4D is a fantastic program that continues to get better year after year, I think you will be very happy with it. In my opinion it strikes a nearly perfect balance between power and ease of use. There's a few things it can't do that Maya can, but for anything C4D will almost certainly be faster and less painful to get there. For anything short of motion picture effects (and it's starting to be used for that more) or hardcore character animation, C4D is my first choice. I've been using it since version 5 and I highly recommend it without hesitation.

Sounds like I'm making a good choice, then :)

As I've said - I really like the C4D demo, and it was very easy to get the hang of. So... C4D it is. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
You can't illegally download Lightwave - in order to use the software in non-explorer mode, you need a usb dongle. You get that when you buy it.

See, I didn't even know this. :eek: ;) Again, I wasn't trying to encourage this behavior, just thought I'd throw it out there...

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
C4d is probably your best choice for cost, bang for your buck and ease of use. Any 3D program is going to give most people a challange so you really aren't going to find a "magic" super simple one. C4d is the most intuitive out of the full featured 3D apps. If you are going to go BIG then get Maya but of course this wont leave much left in your bank account.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
freeny said:
C4d is probably your best choice for cost, bang for your buck and ease of use. Any 3D program is going to give most people a challange so you really aren't going to find a "magic" super simple one. C4d is the most intuitive out of the full featured 3D apps. If you are going to go BIG then get Maya but of course this wont leave much left in your bank account.

That seems to be the opinion I've gotten - C4D looks to be the easiest full-featured 3D software, with the most bang for the buck. I think I'm pretty set on it - I've been able to do everything I need at the moment with the demo (and it was quite intuitive at that), and C4D is powerful enough that it will do everything else I need in the forseeable future.

I'm set on C4D - I'll be ordering it later today. Thanks, everyone, for your input! :)

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
hotwire132002 said:
At this point, I refuse to buy anything from Electric Image - their support is terrible. It's been a year and a half or so since Tiger came out and they're too lazy to release a bug fix to make their software work! I really don't want to risk that one.

As much as I'd like to get Maya, it's a bit expensive right now. (And, because I'm running a business, the PLE won't cut it for me.) So, C4D it is :) I've been very happy with the demo, so I'll be ordering to full version today.

I see your point. Why EI doesn't roll Amorphium in EIAS is beyond me. I used Amorphium for a while but I found my best bet was to stop adding on to EI and go with Maya. I don't use C4D but I hear many people talk highly about it.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Blender 2.41 does not launch on my Mac.....

Soulstorm said:
You should try Blender before you do anything, because it's absolutely free.

http://blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
I downloaded the most recent version of Blender (2.41); somehow, it does not lauch on my Mac (running 10.4.5 and 10.4.4). On the other hand, I was able to run it on my PCs running XP. Is someone also having the similar problem with Blender 2.41 with a Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.