3D studio max for macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nilserb, May 24, 2009.

1. nilserb macrumors newbie

Is this available for the mac? I havent been able to get autoCAD and theyre both made by the same company. Also, I have the latest macbook, would that be able to cope with 3d max? Theres no point getting it if its gonna be all crappy and slow.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Currently there is no 3D Studio Max for OS X. There is Maya as an alternative but it might/might not meet your needs or suit you.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Since software like 3D Studio Max is not available for Mac OS X, you might be able to run it successfully using Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.

It may not run as well as it would natively, but it would definitely be usable if it was running on a relatively up-to-date Mac.

4. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know what parallels is. Thats annoying, I dont want to have to learn yet another program! I've had to learn vectorworks as an alternative for autoCAD. Before I get maya, does anyone know if its similar to 3d max to use?

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You could call them similar since they both do 3D modeling and animation but consider Maya much more "advanced" with a much higher learning curve. If you're doing something simple, I'd stick with 3DS and considering Maya, IIRC, is much more expensive.

Especially with these programs, learning curve has to be a considering factor so I'd recommend installing Windows (natively through Boot Camp) on your Mac and stick with 3DS since you already have some background knowledge of it.

6. nilserb thread starter macrumors newbie

I've no idea how to install windows, i might ask someone to sort that out for me. I'm new to macs, its been difficult! well, I'd be handy enough on 3d max but if maya is better than maybe i should consider trying to learn it. Cant be that diff, right??

7. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

you could also get in on the beta (free with registration) for rhino 4 for OSX, rhino may not do animation, but as a simple 3d design program it fits the bill nicely.
    or blender works as well (and it is free)