3D Studio max to Cinema 4D

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by VPrime, Dec 2, 2009.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hey there.. I have a question to those who have used both programs. I am just wondering how the transition was going from one to the other?
    I used to use 3D Studio max as a hobby (3ds max 3-7), I was decent at low polygon modeling and under stood the workflow etc.

Well now lately I have been urging to get back into modelling(especially with the idea of starting a small game), but because I now have a macbook (and a windows machine) the thought of Cinema 4D has crossed my mind. It being cross platform and compatible with the other tools and engines I use (Unity 3D being one of them) has me seriously considering using cinema 4D.

So back to my question, has any one moved from one program to the other? How was your experience?

Thanks.

2. samwich macrumors regular

I have not used 3D Studio Max, but I have used Maya and Cinema 4D. I highly recommend C4D, runs very stable on my MBP. C4D has been known to be very user friendly and intuitive so I'm sure most of you knowledge will transfer over to the new program, it will just be a matter of finding the different name.

You can go to maxon.net and download a demo version that functions as the full program (with the ability to save) for 60 days or so. I recommend trying that out and then looking for some basic tutorials to get your head around the workflow.

Good luck!

3. arjun747 macrumors newbie

im trying to download Cinema 4D.. but all i can find is demo version.. ive tried everywhere i just cant find one. is the full version for mac even out yet?

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you read the post you were quoting it only mentioned the demo version. If you go to the C4D website you can find info on how to purchase it.

http://www.maxon.net/order/order-maxon-products/resellers.html

5. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hm...Just when I thought I settled on Maya....

I'll have to give Cinema 4D a try. I'm learning Maya right now and although its not difficult, its not user friendly or intuitive.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

If you're coming from a 3DS Max background I would suggest going with Maya, it would be far less of a learning curve IMHO.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Is Cinema 4d r10 compatible with Snow Leopard?