3D Touch app switching hard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dashwin, Sep 28, 2015.

?

Do you use 3D Touch to switch apps?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Yes with case

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  4. No with case

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. dashwin macrumors regular

dashwin

The 3D Touch app switching is useless with a case. Apple could have given more room on the left edge to switch apps. Maybe even give an option to use the right edge.

I've tried reducing the sensitivity of 3D Touch and that helped a bit but the amount of pressure that I have to put when having my thumb stretched out is just too much to be comfortable and quick.

I just resort to the home button double tap now. Any others felt the same way? Maybe I'm just using it wrong?

2. Yellowbean12 macrumors member

Yellowbean12

I agree, either I'm not doing it correctly or the amount of pressure required is just too high to trigger it comfortably.

My theory is that because you have to press down on the very edge of the display, the glass is less able to flex because it's supported by the frame right next to it, whereas the glass is more able to flex in, say, the centre of the display where it's unsupported. Maybe that's why triggering 3D touch on the edge is tricky.

3. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

When I used right hand on left side it fails but when I use left hand it ALWAYS works with ease

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Ditched the case this year but yes with a case on, it's impossible. I've got the hang of it with ease now without a case, a gentle peek level of pressure for a half second followed by a swipe rather than a hard push.

5. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Yeah its a bugger to use, more so if you have anything but a slim case. I am hoping they can work out something in the software to make it easier to use. Failing that it may take the iPhone 7 to perfect.

6. nowise macrumors member

There is no haptic feedback. I think this is the primary reason it is difficult for me. There is no indication if you are pressing hard enough or pressing at all.

7. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

In Safari or any text app I end up selecting text on the screen when app switching, makes it even more annoying.

I see some votes with a yes, for those that use app switching using the left edge care to explain how?

Right, it's easier when I'm holding the phone with both hands and when I use the left hand to switch. It's still awkward to use the left hand to app switch when you are right handed, doesn't feel natural.

8. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

Agree, it seems to work better with touch, hold and swype left but that kinda defeats the purpose of 3D Touch wouldn't it?

9. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

I just hold it in my left hand, put my left thumb in the left edge groove, and press, and the switcher pops up. I'm using a Spigen case that's as minimal as it gets (nothing on the front, really). But once I knew that this existed, I don't have a problem triggering it. I wonder if some phones are more difficult? Default 3D setting, and 6sPlus...

10. dashwin thread starter macrumors regular

dashwin

I do get a tap back when I press hard on the left edge. I'm not referring to the press and hold feature, but the pop switch app method where you press hard on the edge and it brings up the switcher immediately with the tap back haptic feedback.

11. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Sort of...you need to swipe anyway in the task viewer, and it's in the direction you'd be swapping apps anyway, so the push and swipe accomplishes two things at once if that makes sense.

12. bzegrl macrumors newbie

bzegrl

I found the same issue. I had a screen protector on mine and had to remove.

13. bzegrl macrumors newbie

bzegrl

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I also get the haptic feedback. I am a lefty and use no case, so I guess it is just easier for me. I do not have a problem at all just pressing hard and it activates every time.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I have no issues activating the app switcher with Magpul Field case on 6S...

16. r-m macrumors 6502a

I've found it tricky, but the pressure swipe works for me.
    Don't just do a force touch, but force-touch-swipe so you're applying pressure but instantly sliding your finger away from the edge.
    Works with both hands and with a case on for me.

I don't get haptic feedback for activating it though - how do you get that? I'd like that!

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is initially the only way I could get it to activate, but then when I updated to 9.0.1 it worked with just the "pop" type push.

18. bzegrl, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

bzegrl macrumors newbie

bzegrl

Yes, that's what I am having an issue with as well. I'm a righty and sometimes the screen slides and brings up the search screen instead of bringing up the app switcher.

19. r-m macrumors 6502a

I spoke too soon.
    The pressure swipe works for me most of the time. But just had it fail about five times in a row :cool:

the "pop" push works with my left thumb, but not the right thumb.

20. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

This is the way I do it, and it works for me every time. Also, don't forget that when you get to the app switcher, if you swipe from the right side that will show you the home screen if you want to access it that way. There is almost no reason to use the home button anymore as this can be accessed from anywhere; but the home button is a faster method overall since I can click that pretty quickly versus holding my thumb for the half a second then swiping out to start to access the app switcher.

21. nowise macrumors member

That is weird. I get no haptic feedback regardless of method. On 9.01.

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

Yes, this is the key. With right finger, it's very hard to trigger. And even if I do, I can't only go back to 1 app instead of swiping to browse other apps.

23. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It's definitely much easier without a case but I haven't had problems getting it to work. I have tried it with the Kavaj Tokyo, Spigen Aircase, and the official Apple silicone cases. I haven't tried it with a Candyshell yet but I think it would be hard with that case since the lip overhangs quite a bit.