Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Use 3D Touch?

• Yes

Votes: 82 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 27.4%

• Total voters

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
No, It’s not. If you watch the iPhone 6s Keynote, Tim Cook specifically stated implementing 3D Touch on to the iPhone 6s was very difficult to do. The problem with 3D Touch, too many don’t know how to actually utilize its functionality with short cutting through navigation through apps and other iOS measures. For those who actually have understanding of 3D Touch and can take a advantage of peak/pop, it’s merely a convenience tool, especially using the keyboard to move the cursor.

There's the problem. The discovery is not easy for 3D Touch. This was a problem for Apple at the time it was launched. They had several features that were difficult to discover in normal use. Most people probably have no idea the feature even exists. Also, as you said, those that do know, it is only a convenience feature. So while the poll may show an overwhelming majority of MacRumors users taking advantage of it, the statements in the thread seem to indicate that many of those that use it wouldn't miss it.

It had potential, but inconsistent and lackluster implementation have made it mostly irrelevant, and if it can save money or reduce complexity, it should probably be axed.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
There's the problem. The discovery is not easy for 3D Touch. This was a problem for Apple at the time it was launched. They had several features that were difficult to discover in normal use. Most people probably have no idea the feature even exists. Also, as you said, those that do know, it is only a convenience feature. So while the poll may show an overwhelming majority of MacRumors users taking advantage of it, the statements in the thread seem to indicate that many of those that use it wouldn't miss it.

It had potential, but inconsistent and lackluster implementation have made it mostly irrelevant, and if it can save money or reduce complexity, it should probably be axed.

The results of the poll so far suggest that most people had no trouble finding and using it by about 3:1.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
3D Touch feels amazing on control center. I wish it felt the same on home screen. Seems you have to press just a little harder on home screen. I don’t know why I’m just noticing this. Maybe cause I got a larger phone and it’s more difficult to press harder and keep the phone balanced. Sorry, random.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
No I don't use it.

Some people do use it though, so it should stay.

Like the SE. Just because some people prefer huge devices is no reason to get rid of the SE option.

Dastion

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
My favorite use is probably as a cursor while editing text. I tried gboard briefly but the lack being able to move directly up with it sucked.

I also recently discovered you can use it on a folder to show you all apps with badge notifications quickly and as someone who uses folders extensively that’s pretty useful.

It can be annoying in the rare occasions I need to try and trigger the “app jiggle” for moving apps around but I just turned the sensitivity down and it’s not as bad.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
There’s a growing controversy over the future of 3D Touch. Apple appears to have given some people the impression that they’re phasing it out because it isn’t part of the iPhone XR.

So let’s take a little informal survey. Who uses it? Let’s not get into whether it should continue to appear on iPhones or not just yet. Let’s keep it simple for now. Do you use it, by which I mean, is it part of your normal workflow?

I bought iPhone 6s just because of 3-D touch. It was introduced back then. Apart from initial use of 3D Touch I don’t remember that I used it much. Not on any iPhones including 6s. I like the feature but I don’t use it much. I am on Max now.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I use it on average 5+ times a day, but almost exclusively with the same app - Wechat (for accessing the wechat pay QR code in one touch rather than 4).

If wechat pay would ever integrate into wallet somehow, I could easily live without 3D touch.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
The results of the poll so far suggest that most people had no trouble finding and using it by about 3:1.

Walk up to 10 people on the street who use iPhones and then come back and talk to me. This is a forum dedicated to all things Apple. I think the poll results may be skewed.

Reactions: Novus John

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Everyday, multiple times a day. It has completely changed the way I use my iPhone for the better. I’d really hate it if they got rid of it.

Well the good thing is, they may have to get rid of it because of the new tech they are inbedding into the screen not because they say people don’t use it. But we still should get some type of feedback while force pressing.

The new tech is to make it so we can interact with the phone without touching the screen. I think you can have ur fingers about 1 inch above the screen and it will respond, by putting in thousands of mini cameras and sensors embedded into it. So if they do make it work and end up putting it into the next phone. We won’t be losing 3D Touch for nothing. I think maybe they didn’t add it to 10R to start weaning us off along with save money.

You see how they didn’t advertise the notch on this years launch with the green planet lock screen wallpaper. I think they are getting us ready for a notchless phone as well by again embedding tiny cameras and sensors so small they go inbetween the pixels and can’t be seen by the naked eye. These of course are all rumors but why not advertise the notch they are so proud of just a year earlier. Just seems we are heading that way...

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I have it turned off currently to see if I can manage without it. I mainly used it for accessing a couple app shortcuts, and for moving the text cursor (which can now be done without 3D touch in iOS 12). So far I don’t miss it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I use it but doubt that I'll miss it much when I move to the XR. I'll still have my X as a backup phone, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.