iPhone X 3D Touch getting in the way

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kiensoy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. kiensoy macrumors member

I love 3D Touch, but I’ve noticed it gets in the way everytime I’m trying to just tap-and-hold something, like when holding on a Safari link to open the page in a new tab, or when holding on a bookmark to edit it or delete it. I’m just wondering if my iPhone X is too sensitive or it’s the same for other people. I already changed the 3D Touch setting to firm but it doesn’t make any difference. It’s so annoying that I almost wanna disable 3D Touch altogether :(

While I’m at it... is anybody else having issues sometimes while 3D Touching on the keyboard to enable the “touchpad” to move the cursor but nothing happens?

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

You must be pressing relatively hard. Never have any issue like that on my iPhone 8. I need to make a distinct, forceful push for it to register as a force-touch event.

Regarding the touchpad cursor however, yeah, I'm with you.

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I always hated 3D Touch for these type of issues. I found it to be more annoying for what it was worth.

I ended up disabling it on my old 6s Plus, and now with my SE, it doesn't have 3D Touch, and I don't miss it.

4. kiensoy thread starter macrumors member

I barely touch a link and nothing happens, then slowly I start applying more pressure and I can see the peek window start to slowly open. It must be my screen, I should try some other iPhones with 3D touch.

5. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

I never have to apply any pressure at all for taps and long-presses to be registered. Hell, sometimes I don't even have to actually touch the screen; I mean, I probably do, because I shake a wee bit, but just hovering my finger as close to the display as I can, without feeling the touch, can activate it. 3D touch always is very distinct from a tap for me.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have used 3D Touch on every iPhone since it has debuted with the 6S and I have never had a problem with advertently activating 3D Touch when I didn’t need to. In order to invoke it, you need to apply some hard pressure, it shouldn’t be as sensitive as you’re describing it. What leads me to believe you might have an issue with your phone, is that you even adjusted the sensitivity to firm and you’re still experiencing incidental touches. I would make a Genius appointment and see what Apple determines.

7. tops2 macrumors 6502

When I was playing Pokémon Go, I played with one guy who uses 3 phones (3 accounts), the X, 7 and 6s. With default 3D Touch on, on the 7 and 6s, we can touch the screen and spin and throw normally. But on his X, we were having a really tough time throwing the poke ball for some reason. The ball would miss or act "differently" compared to his 7 and 6s and we couldn't figure out what we were doing differently. Some on Reddit noticed the same issue and suggested disabling 3D Touch on the X. As soon as that guy disabled 3D Touch, he said the throwing poke ball acted "normally" like on the 7 and 6s. We concluded perhaps the 3D Touch is a bit more sensitive on his X.

8. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

I noticed I was accidentally bringing up the App wobble whenever I went to activate 3D Touch, so I turned up the 3D Touch sensitivity & it seems to have helped a bit.

9. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Eh - I have noticed this issue with my X as well... but I also have had it with my 6S+, it doesn't seem to take too much force and it'll do that rather than give me the popup menu that I actually want.