3D Touch is a game changer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jabingla2810, Sep 25, 2015.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm not one to be hyperbolic over nothing, and I've been sceptical all week, but after playing with it for only a short while, and 'feeling it' for myself, I'm blown away.

The peek and pop system in Safari is where I think I'll use it most. Browsing down one of my most common websites 'hotukdeals' is now a breeze. To quickly dig into a link, see the content, then release and be right back to where I was seems like a small thing, but in practice, it's fantastic.

Anybody on the fence with 3D Touch, seriously get to an Apple Store and experience it for yourself.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I must admit that if there's one thing that will persuade me to upgrade from my 6 it's 3D Touch - it adds a whole new range of interaction options to the OS.

3. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Yep. And there's hidden gems, as well. For example, go into Mail, and peek an email - then slide to the left to delete it, or to the right to reply. Brilliant! In Messages, swipe up for pre-canned replies.

4. thatJohann macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

It's quite difficult to nail down. Even on Light sensitivity I have to press so hard it's absurd.

5. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I was playing with a 6s at the Apple Store today and I too was enjoying it! For some reason, I especially loved the 3D touch on the left side to bring up multitasking. I liked that MUCH better than double clicking the home button! In fact, I found myself accidentally doing it on my regular 6!

I was disappointed, though, to see that roughly half of the Apple apps didn't use 3D touch on the home screen. Hopefully that changes!

6. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Its not that difficult lol >.>

7. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Agreed, using it in Safari and it saves time. I can view an article I don't really normally want to waste time viewing but curious about to get a preview. Loving the feature.

8. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Didn't know it did this! thanks!

9. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Works on threads on the forums too :)

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I agree.

The tactile feedback is much different than I expected... more of a 'thunk' than vibration.

11. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

Feels like I'm touching the future. Now I can't stop 3D-touching every screen I have.

12. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Pretty cool feature I just found. You can preview bookmarks you have to see what's on site before opening.

13. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I felt that way at first but am getting used to it.

I noticed an undercurrent feeling of "this will damage the screen" that made me too tentative and once I became conscious of it and got over it things are much better.

14. recklesslife85 macrumors 6502

recklesslife85

Adjust the sensitivity in accessibility to light.

15. mproudfoot macrumors member

mproudfoot

Must be in the minority - I've been fairly unimpressed with it.

16. thatJohann macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

you're absolutely right. I'm getting over the fear of damaging the screen and I've been able to pull off peek and pops more frequently. :)

17. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I did that too, but the difference wasn't very much IMO. For me it was more a matter of getting over a decades-long learned attitude that putting pressure on a screen is a bad thing to do. Once I did that all is good.

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Love the new feature. Now I will be 3D Touching my iPad Mini 2 and nothing will happen. Lol

19. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I really do like it. It seems like it will be really useful for adding contact, reminders, and calendar events. What I do not like is that it really has made, even the iPhone 6s, a two handed device. Since you have to put pressure on the screen you really need your other hand on the top portions of the screen. Either two hands or I may actually start using reachability.

20. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

3D touch just feels so natural to me and makes the interaction with the interface more fluid and just easier.

Can't wait to see it implemented in more ways and especially in 3rd party apps :D

21. Jsameds macrumors 68030

So so useful on forums and Reddit, and on sites that tease you with a headline and make you click on it to find out the vital piece of information.. Not any more!

22. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Are you using a plus?

23. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

What does it matter? Its easy to use on a plus model...

24. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I'm asking because even on my 6s, depending on the angle I press down on has an effect on how easy it is to peek and pop. The plus is more cumbersome in my opinion so I'm just curious.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

6s here, and have the same opinion. I mentioned a few post above that it makes it a two handed device.