3D Touch is a Long Press

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benched08, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Benched08 macrumors regular

On my 6S+ to consistently get 3D Touch to work properly, I have to maintain the pressure for almost the length of time as a long press. Else, if I only press hard it will perform the normal non-forced function or tease me with the animation but not the forced action. I miss it about a third the time because I forgot to hold the press longer. Does anybody experience this besides me, and does anybody think this sort of defeats the purpose of pressure sensitivity?

2. Cryates macrumors 6502a

Mine works exactly the way they said it would. I press firm and it pops up instantly. Maybe mess with the sensitivity settings to see if that helps you?

3. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Yeah I don't think it's a big deal. I would have rather just used a long press and not had the weight increase or a bigger battery.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

I know what you're talking about and from what Ive read then there's adjustment setting thats can be made for 3D Touch sensitivity that may address your issues. But I'm too lazy to find it because, for now, 3D Touch has been a lot more gimmicky than expected.

I do think that the whole 3D Touch concept is fantastic. But with so few apps supporting it (and so much inconsistency as to what it actually does) then I'm just not even trying anymore.

Maybe in the future we'll see more instances of pressure sensitivity doing more unique things, but overall I do wish this was simply a long-press command so that it would be implemented across the entire line up iOS9 devices.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

On the watch and new MacBook trackpads then the taptic engine is very impressive in that it gives a different "feel" than simply a vibrating motor. But on the phone I'm not feeling its anything special at all so I do feel it to be a bit unnecessary. I know the phone is still light and all but, with the repositioning of the hands required for a 5.5" screen, then it does feel more top-heavy than the 6+.

Buy again, this is future tech in a current phone so we'll see next year how well this gets implemented into apps and OS.

6. Benched08 thread starter macrumors regular

For example, to peek into a web link, you force touch and then you can swipe up for more options. But long pressing gives you those options...why couldn't long pressing give you the "peek" / preview too?

7. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

Change 3D touch sensitivity in settings.

8. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

well, there's still a purpose for pressure sensitivity, especially if you want to differentiate between a peek and a pop.

9. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Should've dropped that gimmick considering it's not on the iPads and, instead, use the space for a bigger battery.

10. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Nah you're alright.

3D Touch is so much more useful than 5% more battery, I love it!

I've found its most useful on forums and Reddit so you can peek into a thread without having to go into it.

11. Benched08 thread starter macrumors regular

But why couldn't they retain the long press and add a preview? It's really nonsense. Long pressing brings up the same options as a force press and swipe up, just throw in a preview above them and you get the same thing. It's really pointless and gimmicky until developers show us how it isn't (which I'm sure they will).

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah 3d touch seems fairly useless to me versus a long press. 3d touch is instant, but the animation after you touch hard makes it in fact not instant, probably about the time a long press would be anyhow. I dig the haptic feedback though. I think Apple thought, hey lets take a feature like long press that's been around for years and give it a new name and sell it. Kind of like "retina display", just marketing BS.

13. nextgeneric macrumors member

I am enjoying the feature and finding it useful. Long press on home screen is already used for app removal. The pressure sensitivity (I refuse to use Apple's marketing buzzwords) adds another layer of interactivity with applications. For instance, much like you can use the trackpad to scrub slower/faster in videos on the Mac.

If it doesn't work out for you, you are welcome to go back to the 6 or disable the feature entirely in settings.

14. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

For the peeking into a web page the long press could show the same information, but for the app switching and easy scrolling through a paragraph of text to edit, force touch is very good. Also, the force touch actions on icons can only be done with force touch simply because of how Apple made its icon rearrangement system. If there was an option in settings or something that let you rearrange icons without long pressing, then they could add the force touch gestures to long pressing on the home screen as well.

15. archer75 macrumors 65816

Yeah, it's just a long press. They really could have added that in software to previous iphones/ipads.

16. Wildeface macrumors newbie

But long presses are already used for other things?

17. Wildeface macrumors newbie

It's amazing for Reddit browsing.

18. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Ever since I found out that if I press on the keyboard it turns into a track pad for moving the curser. I fell in love.

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I love it. I love the feedback, which you don't get with long press. And of course this is 1.0 version of this feature which most developers haven't even implemented yet. It's only going to get better. I'm going to assume the Apple engineers that worked on this for 5 years know what they're doing and didn't just create something for the sake of it or as a gimmick.

20. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

For those looking since it took me a few minutes to find it buried in Settings-

Settings > General > Accessibility > scroll down a bit 3D Touch.

It's not only "on or off", the menu allows you to turn it on/off, adjust sensitivity, and test the how 3D Touch works for you.

I have a feeling Apple will eventually move this menu option to one of the 'top' settings screens, as it can really help if you're not comfortable with how the feature works.