3D Touch Menus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by magicschoolbus, Oct 12, 2015.

1. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

Hello

So I recently got a 6s to replace my 5s and I love it. Everything about the phone is great.

I was wondering about this 3D touch menus. Can they be customized?

For instance, I press phone, it brings up people I don't really want shortcuts to.. How do I make it so certain people are in that pop up menu?

Is there a way to do this? Same goes for messages app.

I just want shortcuts to the people I want to contact, not my phone thinking who I want to call. I thought this was a feature already in the software.. I must say, it's kind of dissapointing I cant customize the menu.

I have looked in the settings everywhere and I can't find anything relating to it. Is there a way to do this?

2. mdlyen macrumors newbie

No. Context menus are defined by the application. All we can do is hope Apple gives us the ability to pick which contacts appear on the menus.

3. magicschoolbus thread starter macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

That's really disappointing. Force Touch seems like such a cool feature, but it's not useful until I can use it for what I need it for.. I don't understand why I can't have shortcuts to "Call Mom" or "Call Scott (Boss)" or "Call Girlfriend" etc.. same in Messages. I feel like this would be super useful. I actually never found this out in any reviews that were for the 6s. This was something I immediately noticed and the only reason I would even really use Force Touch.

Heres hoping Apple lets us create a custom shortcut, but knowing their inability to let us do what we want, it will probably be a new feature in iOS 10 next year. I am hoping that is not the case.

4. alanholden macrumors newbie

I think you can set the contacts that appear for the phone app. The three that appear in mine are the first 3 numbers that I've saved as 'favourites'. Its the only app I've found that you can change though

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I think you can sort of pick who appears when you 3D Touch on the phone icon.

Inside the phone app there is a tab for Favourites. Set the contacts you want as favourite and I believe it uses the top three in the list to show in the 3D Touch menu. If you have more than three favourites, move them around so the top three are the ones you want to show.

It works differently for the Messages app though. That one is dynamic and goes off more a "recent" contact you talked to. (Similar to the Proactive contacts in the new Proactive Search screen.)

6. magicschoolbus thread starter macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

Okay so this worked. Moving the people around in the favorites menu adjusted the order they appeared in the phone app. Messages not so much. That one is all over the place in its recommendations, and does not seem go go by the top3 in your inbox.

I really can't believe apple overlooked this feature. The whole point of force touch is to move around the OS quicker and more efficiently. If you can't customize the shortcuts then what's the point of it?

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I pointed out that Messages doesn't work the same the Phone app. 3D Touch on Messages is dynamic and puts contacts you recently talked to and/or suggested contacts just like the Proactive Siri suggestion contacts. So it will change based on time of day/day of the week depending on when you usually talk to someone on that day of the week or time of day.

Rev 1. It's silly to expect full features in a brand new technology right out of the gate. It will definitely improve over time and gain for functionality each year as it matures.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have five favourite numbers stored and yet the 3D Touch menu only offers me 'create contact'.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I must have sent 100 SMS & iMessages, and made numerous phonecalls. I also have five 'favourites' set up and yet these are my 3D Touch options: image.png image.png

10. magicschoolbus thread starter macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've done a clean install and a reset of all settings but the 'problem' remains. It doesn't bother me though, a few random contacts wouldn't be beneficial to me anyway.

12. magicschoolbus thread starter macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

Totally would bother me cause its a new feature in their flagship phone i can't use for whatever reason lol

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I just assume that a clean install of 9.1 will get it up and running properly.