3D Touch missing from App Home Screen shortcuts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Oct 17, 2015.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I just swapped my iPhone 6s for a 6s Plus and completed its restore from the backup. Since I'd been using the 6s, I know which apps have 3D Touch capabilities already, but I've now noticed something odd. A few apps on this iPhone no longer have the home screen shortcuts pop up when their icon is pressed hard, however, inside the app, whatever 3D Touch abilities it had, do still function. Some of the apps doing this are Instagram, iTunes Store, App Store, Music, PCalc, and Twitter. As I said, inside the apps, 3D Touch works, but the home screen icon doesn't give the pop up short-cuts when pressed hard. Other apps with 3D Touch are working fine.

I'm on iOS 9.0.2, I've tried a hard reset, and I've deleted and reinstalled the apps. The iTunes Store App Store, and the Music app obviously can't be deleted, which makes this bug seem even more pervasive. I've also tried turning off and on the 3D Touch feature in Settings. It took forever to restore and setup the phone from back up, so I'd prefer not try erasing it and reinstalling everything.

Any suggestions? Anyone else experience anything similar? Thx for your input.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah I've got this problem with the Maps, App Store, Phone and Messaging apps. The homescreen icon either doesn't have 3D Touch options at all (Maps & App Store), or it has limited options. For instance the Phone app only gives me 'create contact' and the messaging app 'new message'. This is my third clean install and without a backup. I've given up on it...

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

This is a known issue, right now the only fix is to restore phone and set up as new. you have to open the apps first then the 3D will work.

4. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I've found that suggestion to restore as new elsewhere too now, thx. I'm really hating the thought of having to do that. I have a 128gb model with a lot of apps. Had to previously do a restore from back up and lost all the text conversations in Messages app. That was a major blow but fortunately they still reside on my iPad. There there seems to be an issue when restoring from an iCloud backup that was created from an 6s or 6s Plus iPhone. Very frustrating!

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I saw somewhere else that 9.1 is supposed to fix this. I've held off on restoring and am waiting on that which will hopefully work.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wouldn't put too much faith into a clean install fixing this if my experience is anything to go by. Apologies for the massivo essay!

I initially restored from a 6+ backup to my 6S+. All was well apart from muted alert tones. So I did a 'reset all settings'...and then my phone got stuck in a bootloop at the Apple logo. A hard reset wouldn't fix it, and neither did leaving it for half an hour hoping that it would progress beyond the Apple logo. So I had to do a DFU restore, install iOS 9.01 via iTunes and then install my backup again. All was well apart from the muted alert tones again. So I did another 'reset all settings' and got stuck at the Apple logo once more.

I did another DFU restore and installed my iCloud backup, only this time I decided that I would get all the data transferred from my phone to the pc with the intention of starting afresh with a clean install and no backup. After copying over 12GB of photos and videos I did an 'erase all content & settings' in order to set my phone up from scratch. This again caused a bootloop at the Apple logo (*majorly hacked off at this point) and I had to yet again DFU restore 9.0.1
    I then set my phone up as new and toddled off to bed.

My alert tones were a normal volume now thank goodness, so the next evening I downloaded all my apps (engaging in a homescreen cull in the process) and agonisingly set about importing all the photos & videos from my pc. Then I deleted my old iCloud backup and created a fresh one off my 6S+. It was a success, apparently. Over the next couple of days no auto-backups occurred though! How could this be??

Then I was reading on the forums about 3D Touch not working for some folk on certain homescreen icons. Lo and behold, it was the same for me too. My Maps app had zero 3D Touch action, neither did the App Store, and the Phone app only gave me 'create contact' along with the Messaging app only offering 'new message'. SO, as I was fairly busy and not needing my phone for a while I thought that I'd do an 'erase all content & settings' and do a fresh installation of my brand new iCloud backup. This should have been a walk in the park but oh no, Apple's wonky new iCloud/iOS9 combo had other things in store for me! At least there was no Apple logo bootloop this time, not using my old backup had cured that, but the new iCloud backup failed to install any photos or videos onto my phone. What was showing on iCloud as being a 12GB backup size only gave me a 1GB phone installation. What the heck?? I erased all content & settings and tried again. Exactly the same issue. So my brand new iCloud backup that I slaved over for two whole evenings is a corrupted pile of cr**.

Not to mention that my 3D Touch homescreen icons were still crocked!

That's where I'm at. Severely hacked off with iCloud. A feature that has worked flawlessly on several iPhones over approximately five years is now basically broken, for me anyway. How can a clean install of iOS, downloading the apps manually, installing photos & videos manually and then creating a brand new iCloud backup on a 6S+ running iOS 9.0.1 fail to install on a 6S+ running iOS 9.0.1 ??
    I'll attempt the whole tedious process once more when iOS 9.1 lands, but not before!:mad:

7. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Wow! I feel for you. I've also have no trouble with backups and restores for years with the iCloud until now. I've also realized a few apps with my data inside didn't restore with my data, just the app restored but empty. I've also lost all my ring tones that I purchased and they do not show up under purchased in the iTunes Store app. This coupled with loosing at least 5 years of text messages has been a hard pill to swallow. At this point I may as well try to set it up as new as so much is lost already. I'll take screen shots first to keep track of which apps I have installed and where. Apple said to restore using iTunes the way you did. I guess I'll have to rebuy the ringtones I really liked. What a royal pain.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I didn't buy an Android phone when I was so displeased with last year's 6+. I thought 'noooo, what about my iCloud backup' and yet it has been consigned to the trash now anyway!
    I would seriously wait until 9.1 drops (which should be imminent) before doing any fresh iCloud backup creation.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

PS I had some dead apps too from my iCloud backup. They were there on the homescreen but when I clicked to open them they crashed out immediately. I had to delete and reinstall them. iCloud restores are a big plus point of iPhone ownership for me so it has been a PITA and still no end result.

10. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502