3D Touch Necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplePhy, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

i know some of you have commented on this sporadically throughout the forums...

But is 3D Touch really necessary to accomplish some of the tasks it's meant to accomplish?

For example:

-In the Mail app, if you hold down the icon for a second longer, couldn't you program iOS to then 'peek' into the email you're looking at? And then if you hold it for a second longer than that, be able to 'pop' into the email? Why would you need to register the depth of touch to accomplish these tasks? With previous iPhones, if you currently select an icon/app and hold for a second longer, you can then cause it to wiggle and can then move it around the screen. It seems to me that 3D Touch wouldn't be necessary to accomplish these things that were heavily touted during the presentation on Wed.

-Also---if you simply held your finger down on the left edge of the screen, you should be able to then switch between apps without the need for 3D touch, again a new feature that was demonstrated.

-same with LIVE PHOTOS: simply select and hold a photo for a second longer and you should be able to activate this feature on non 6s phones.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't allow these functions on ios9.1 for non6s phones.

2. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

ill be amazed if I use 3D touch, looked slow and laggy in the demos unless that was intentional

3. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Just another tech to break at some point by pressing down over and over again.

4. Orangeman13 macrumors regular

Orangeman13

5. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

Nothing is a necessary. An electronic company can put whatever the **** they want in their device. The consumer chooses to buy it or not. Is it necessary for you is the damn question.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I'm wondering if there will be some way of finding out where the 3D technology works. Like a list of apps that take advantage of using the technology. Or if I will have to just start pressing on every screen to find out where those extra menus and options are.

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It was intentional. Take a look at the hands on videos, you can speed it up depending on how much force you apply.

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Here is a pretty good page showing 3d-touch capabilities: http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/3d-touch/

9. ApplePhy thread starter macrumors 6502

This page showcases 3D Touch in the context of the 3 functions shown off at the conference on Wed.

-Peek and Pop
    -quick actions
    -Live Photos/dynamic wallpapers

All of these actions can be accomplished without the use of 3DTouch, if Apple would build these functionalities into ios9. If you select and hold the icons/pictures for differing amounts of time, for example, you can peek into an email and hold it longer and you can pop into it. Don't need to register the depth of touch at all.

The 3D Touch demo was not very compelling, when the same effect can be accomplished without the use of 3DTouch.

10. sterl320 macrumors 6502

nothing is necessary. Touch ID wasn't necessary either. Its just more convenient.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yes, it's necessary.

12. Renho macrumors 6502a

Renho

cause what if you start to hold down a message and you look up or get distracted or anything really and you leave your finger on it and it pops in but you didn't want it to. pressure will take away from those mistakes.....3d touch is very necessary, it is going to make our life's so much easier. Speacially the pot smoking hippies...lol... That is the only reason why i am upgrading after getting the 6plus last year. Who am i kidding i upgrade every year anyways....lol..

13. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

It's a great single hand use improvement and convenience. Obviously you don't need it to use an iPhone but with the haptic feedback and shortcuts I think we are all going to be really into it.

14. Renho macrumors 6502a

Renho

But wouldn't you say convenience is what smart phones are all about and why they are in everybody's hands...

15. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Exactly, that's why the question of what's necessary isn't sound. If its all about convenience, than that is what's important, and that is the hurdle that Apple and all other smartphone companies try to jump every year. How can we make it more convenient? Let them see the content in an app without having to actually open it. Sounds good!

and years from now, Apple will try to top even that.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

17. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

This is just the beginning for 3D Touch. It will be interesting to see what developers and apple come up with in the future. It's not really necessary, but then again what is in a phone. It's just another way to interact with the device. Think about 3D Touch like a right click on your desktop. It's another step for iOS to mature into a real desktop replacement. It's not there yet, but is getting closer and maybe in a few years time will be a viable replacement.

18. BSben macrumors 6502a

I believe that the 6s generation will sell slowly until people who bought it start talking about 3D Touch, and how much it improved their experience. It will be god for some users, but not so much for people who find it difficult to keep up with the speed of technology.

19. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I can see I'll use 3D touch to switch app a lot. I hate double pressing on the home button. It might make the button loose over time.

Also to answer your question, Apple wants people to upgrade their phones. That's it.

20. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Technology would never progress if we stuck to things that are necessary.

3D touch will have its uses, it already does on Apple Watch. Tapping and holding would conflict with certain actions, such as rearranging the home screen. 3D touch is useful in that regard. As time goes on, we'll see more and more uses for it. I'm not sure how sensitive it is, but it'll be nice to see racing games with pressure sensitive acceleration and braking.

21. Rigby macrumors 601

I agree with the OP. Everything that was shown during the keynote could just as well have been implemented using tap&hold on conventional touch screens. It's a bit early to judge of course, but I suspect this will largely be a gimmick. I have a new Macbook Pro with "force touch", and I never use the "force click" (although I appreciate being able to adjust the threshold for normal clicks). Maybe it'll be different on a mobile device, but I have my doubts.

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's like saying Force Touch isn't necessary on the new MacBooks. Maybe it isn't but it certainly makes using one much easier. The same goes for force touch on the Apple watch. I'm sure it will be the same on the iPhone. Besides one shouldn't be judging it before one has had a chance to actually use it. That said no one is forcing you to use it. Personally I'm very intrigued by it and can see it being of use.

23. richbarbal macrumors member

I think this technology 3D Touch S creen is the previous step to eliminate the home button.

I cant be sure of course but i think they want people to get use it in order to introduce the next iPhone wothouth the home button.

24. Rigby macrumors 601

That would be useful (if only to get rid of the huge bezels). But there are two problems: (1) TouchID and (2) since 3D Touch works by measuring variations of the capacitance, the display needs to be powered for it to work (although you could of course turn off the backlight). So it's probably not suitable for waking up the phone from a low-power sleep mode.

25. HEK, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

3D Touch is the next phase towards the elimination of the home button function. The ability to jump between apps without going home, is clearly evident. as is the swipe from left edge replacing the home button double tap to expose open apps.

I'm betting the ID function is being worked on as we chat, moving to the main screen. That would leave some combination of keys to initiate a re-boot and the home button will be eliminated opening up bezels. Either larger screen or reduced overall phone height with same screens.

So, yes 3D Touch is absolutely necessary. A number of people are seeing the clear indications where this is leading. Perhaps combination of 3D Force touch on a specific area of screen to replace capacitance ring. Or Apple may be heading into facial recognition with the improvement to FaceTime camera and added screen flash.