Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usfdro20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
How is IOS picking the contacts when you use 3D touch on iMessage? I would assume it would pick the most recent conversations, however for me it is giving me the 3 options of people I rarely text but not including the people at the top of my message list.

In short, I use 3D touch on iMessage, I am presented with 3 people I have not texted recently.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Same here. I could understand if they populated it with the last 3 people, although the top 3 would make more sense, but as it is I have no idea how these people are chosen.

usfdro20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Same here. I could understand if they populated it with the last 3 people, although the top 3 would make more sense, but as it is I have no idea how these people are chosen.
Exactly, therefore its honestly making what could be such a great a shortcut rather pointless. I guess its just an improvement they need to work through, unless I am missing something.

MilesF101

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Same here. 1 from recent and 2 random. Tried deleting the thread of one of the random people but that doesn't help either... Earlier today it was showing just 3 random people and no recent contacts.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Mine are 3 most recent. Maybe Apple thinks you should reconnect with old pals. lol

Mine won't change no matter what, from three seemingly random people in my Messages history. I'm concerned this is a problem carried over from my iPhone 6 Plus restore to the 6s Plus.

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Mine won't change no matter what, from three seemingly random people in my Messages history. I'm concerned this is a problem carried over from my iPhone 6 Plus restore to the 6s Plus.

Mine is also showing the most recent convos.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I assume it will be tuned over time... It probably needs more than 12 hours to be tuned

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Same - only showing most recent convos. It makes sense to me, because you are probably more inclined to reply to the people you most recently messaged. The UX at least makes sense. Maybe enabling the user to choose: "3D-Touch - Show Recent Contacts OR Pick 3 Preferred Contacts". Let people choose between them, IMO.

crims0n

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Seems that if you didn't reply to a message, even if you opened it, that contact is shown in the shortcut. Once you tap on the contact from the shortcut, it's removed, unless it's a favorite.

insocal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
W
How is IOS picking the contacts when you use 3D touch on iMessage? I would assume it would pick the most recent conversations, however for me it is giving me the 3 options of people I rarely text but not including the people at the top of my message list.

In short, I use 3D touch on iMessage, I am presented with 3 people I have not texted recently.

What I'm noticing is, I'm being given the option for Shortcuts to all threads EXCEPT those that include more than one Contact (group text). Even the ones I've not replied to are coming up. Just not the Groups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.