Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmalto

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
it's a first gen apple product. they had to hold out the most obvious new feature on the iphone for the ipad pro so next year when they come out with it on the ipp 2 you will absolutely have to upgrade.

Does the iPad pro have 3D Touch?

Reactions: MacinJosh

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
it's a first gen apple product. they had to hold out the most obvious new feature on the iphone for the ipad pro so next year when they come out with it on the ipp 2 you will absolutely have to upgrade.

absolutely??? presuming of course 3d touch is of interest to you and they actually incorporate it. the Pencil has a style of 3d touch itself. i'll be purchasing ipp now and not upgrading for 5 or 6 years.

the amount of dis-interest in 3d touch i'm so far hearing on iPhone is an eye-opener ;)

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I have the 6s+ and to be honest do not find value in the 3D Touch as of yet. The phone is so snappy that it's of no consequence to actually open the app. Not sure if it is worth the cost at this point adding it to the iPad. I'm sure it will gain more features and become more useful at some point but for me anyway, not an essential feature. I much more prefer the pen capability.

mmalto

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
absolutely??? presuming of course 3d touch is of interest to you and they actually incorporate it. the Pencil has a style of 3d touch itself. i'll be purchasing ipp now and not upgrading for 5 or 6 years.

i was being sarcastic with the use of the word absolutely. ive listened to one to many apple presentations and was making fun of their marketing team.

obviously the pen adds features the iphone cant even do with 3d touch but when ip7 comes out with ip pencil (the size of a mini golf pencil) just remember you heard it hear first. the good news is that it will be for the low low price of 49.99. :)

Reactions: sjleworthy

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
have no interest in 3D Touch on an iPad. Makes some sense on the phone to make navigation easier with just one thumb.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The question is- is it possible to incorporate 3D Touch and Apple Pencil support on the same screen?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
The question is- is it possible to incorporate 3D Touch and Apple Pencil support on the same screen?

I've thought about it and it is. 3D Touch only works with skin contact on the screen. So when using the Apple pencil the iPad will know to ignore variations in pressure on the screen since it's caused by the pencil and not your finger.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
NH

the amount of dis-interest in 3d touch i'm so far hearing on iPhone is an eye-opener ;)

For me 3D Touch has become extremely convenient and useful. Any power user would love it.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
NH
I've thought about it and it is. 3D Touch only works with skin contact on the screen. So when using the Apple pencil the iPad will know to ignore variations in pressure on the screen since it's caused by the pencil and not your finger.

3D Touch is pressure.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I doubt that. I don't believe these crap controversies. I bet that the reason they left it out from the iPad Pro is the fact that they don't have good enough technology to implement it in large scale yet.

You have to remember that currently 3D touch/Force Touch is only used in Watch, iPhone and MacBook trackpads. All of them are quite small in terms of surface area compared to iPad Pro.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014

3D Touch is pressure.

Yes you are absolutely right "3D Touch is pressure." Which is why I also said when using the pencil the iPad will know to ignore the variations in pressure on the screen since it's caused by the pencil and not your finger. However 3D Touch will only work with skin contact or you finger nails too.

With that said Apple could incorporate 3D Touch into the iPad if they wanted to. It might be more challenging to do in a larger display though.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I doubt that. I don't believe these crap controversies. I bet that the reason they left it out from the iPad Pro is the fact that they don't have good enough technology to implement it in large scale yet.

You have to remember that currently 3D touch/Force Touch is only used in Watch, iPhone and MacBook trackpads. All of them are quite small in terms of surface area compared to iPad Pro.

You are spot on with your answer. It might be more difficult to implement into a larger display. Apple doesn't hold out on technology, if it's ready to go and they have time they will put it into the product if they think it's beneficial. 3D Touch on the new iPhones is greatly improved over the version on the Apple Watch. It shows that apple is constantly improving on their existing technologies and implementing as fast as they can into existing products.

3D Touch for larger screens like iPads is just not ready yet which is why the iPad pro didn't have it. Hell some of the iPad pro own technology isn't ready yet which is why it's being released in November. People really need to think about this. Apple is trying to get these products into our hands as soon as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.