3D Touch sensitivity hardware differences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EJ8, Mar 6, 2016.

1. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

Is it possible that 3D Touch sensitivity is somewhat hardware dependent? I recently received a replacement 6S and began to notice that (with the sensitivity set to the default Medium on old and new devices) that I had to press harder to implement 3D touch, especially when trying to enact the app switcher with a press on the left edge of the screen. It took me a while to think of adjusting the sensitivity to Light. When I did my new phone felt more like my old phone. Seems odd.

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

3D Touch uses the light of the backlight and sensors measures the distance between the backlight and the back of the display panel. Depending on the distance of the light is how it determine Peek and Pop. The settings I would assume just increase the threshold of distance required for each function. So it "could" be plausible that one panel is more rigid than the next, requiring a harder baseline press. But how plausible? I don't know.

3. vertsix, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

I absolutely detest the 3D Touch gesture to bring up the app switcher. It rarely works for me and it's so uncomfortable to do. I wish they would change it.

I just use Assistive Touch to conveniently bring up the app switcher with 3D Touch with one tap to avoid doing this gesture.

4. EJ8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EJ8

You definitely have to press in the right place. I love the functionality. I rarely touch my home button these days. But it was sort of difficult before I switched my sensitivity to Light. You should try that before giving up on it.

5. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

It's been on Light since day one.