3D touch task switcher gimmick

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dark_knight177, Dec 30, 2015.

1. dark_knight177 macrumors regular

dark_knight177

The 3d touch task switcher works only 40-50% of the time, the other 50% of the time it just doesn't register. My wife shares the same sentiment. What happened to "just works"?

Isn't Apple the company that's known for not releasing gimmicky features and produce new features to perfection?

Apple's latest features remind me the samsung of the past where they released galaxy phones with air swipe which worked 50% of the time.

2. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

It works consistently for me. Maybe you are pressing too close to the edge of the phone?

You can also adjust the sensitivity of 3D Touch. Mine is set to very sensitive.

3. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

4. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Me too. Mine just works. Maybe it's just you and your wife....

5. Solange82200 macrumors regular

No, it's not just him and his wife. I can only get it to work half the time too, and I've read several other people say the same thing :)

6. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Took a while to get used to pressing at exactly the right spot, but it works flawlessly for me now. And I wouldn't call it a gimmick, it's a very useful feature

7. Solange82200 macrumors regular

I think I figured it out finally. I have long nails so i can't use my fingertip too well, so i was using the pad of my thumb or pointer finger, and it was accidentally hitting the apps i have next to the side. Now I try it with the side of my pinky (which is as thin as the tip of my other fingers), and it seems to work consistently. I can see this being a hard to use feature for people with big fingers (or long fingernails like myself).

It's not apple's fault, but not exactly the user's fault either if they have big fingers and can't do it

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you have a case on it?

I've noticed I can rarely get it to work on my friend's device with an Otterbox as there are deep contours to get down to the screen.

On my phone, with a leather case, it works every single time.

9. seble macrumors 6502a

It never fails to work for me. Unlike the hard press keyboard cursor... I love the side press for the multitasking switcher. You can say why Apple made the deck of card carousel style switcher for iOS 9 because it matches the gesture perfectly.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Siri of the 4S
    Apple Maps at release
    Fingerprint Sensor on the 5S

Sure. Pinnacles of perfection.

11. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

It's a stupid feature when you can't configure it. Should be able to configure it to which side of the screen you want. Very counter intuitive when using one handed with your right hand. Faster to double press home!

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm at about 50% too, not worth it so I just stopped using it. I agree that it's more of a gimmick than anything, at least until they get it to work consistently.

13. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Works 100% of the time for me. As people said before, are you using a case ? I had a case before and never used this feature because it was very hard to get to the multitask.

14. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I disagree that it is a gimmick. For me it is a useful shortcut that works 100% of the time.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can't get "hey siri" to work even half the time lol. But 3D touch I love. Daily use. Hourly. Minute-ly(?) lol.

16. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

I use that all the time without fail. Change the sensitivity of 3D touch to the lightest level and 3D touch becomes a joy to use.

But notice that OP has not come back to the thread at all. I suspect no merits in the complaint.

17. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

1. Apple Maps was never a gimmicky feature. It was a core part of iOS, that had very big issues at launch, but it was never a gimmick.

2. What was wrong with Siri on the 4S?

3. Touch ID worked perfectly from day one for most people, apart from a few users on here. I know tonnes of people with the 5s and none of them had any problems whatsoever.

Not really understanding any of your points?

18. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

3-D touch takes getting used to. At first I had a hard time getting it to work. Then I figured it out and now it's very easy to use. You just need to adjust your pressure on the edge of the screen.

19. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

20. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Personally I love the 3D touch switcher activation.

It's just as easy as pressing the home button twice, but has the added benefit of saving wear & tear on the home button for those of us that want to keep their phone as long as possible.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

OP, go to Settings>General> accessibility >3D Touch and pull the sensitivity slider all the way to the left (light). I found its more responsive that way. Works every time for me.