3D Touch turns iPhone keyboard into trackpad for easier text selection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

2. FredV macrumors member

FredV

That's pretty good, I've gotten frustrated several times trying to select and highlight.

3. Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

It's always the little things like this that tend to triumph over some of the larger and more touted features in day-to-day use.

4. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

Oh wow, I was so disappointed that the two-finger method they designed for iPad didn't work on my 5s, now I'm even more excited to get my 6s Plus!

5. jabrown93 macrumors member

Idk why they didn't put this on the older iPhones, it was there in iOS 9 dev beta 1 and then they removed it in 2 and it never came back

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

It sure seems like this 3D Touch stuff really needs the Taptic Engine to be successful. If you don't have that I can see where 3D Touch could easily get mixed up with long process and just cause lots of frustration.

7. crazyeyes macrumors regular

so does that mean you can swipe on the keyboard and use it to track back in a sentence one character at a time? that was something that was capable with a jailbreak before which I really liked.

Sorry did't watch the video before posting, that is exactly what the jailbreak tweak would do but you didn't have to push on the screen you just swiped over the keyboard, the annoying thing about it is as you were typing if you finger slid a bit it could accidentally take you to the middle of your sentence and you were typing in the middle of the sentence it was quite annoying actually at times. So the 3D touch implementation is awesome.

8. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

Well that and I always wondered how it would work with apps that already used a two-finger shortcut for something else. Doesn't seem to be an issue on the iPads I guess, but I haven't tried it myself.