3D Work and Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luke87, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Luke87 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm a student and i do a fair bit of 3D work although as a main i do graphics design. Would the Macbook Pro 17" with the 7200RPM HD and the 'SLI' graphics cards be able to handle 3D, (possibly HD) Film editing, and other general High end stuff. I'm not really into gaming but knowing that it wouldnt explode when the 3D card is taxed would be nice. As i said i am a student so £1700+ isnt exactly pennys to me. I plan on Duel Booting it if that makes any difference at all.
    Thanks all.

P.S: This is my first ever venture into the world of Mac, i've been soley PC until now.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yes they can run all the software. How well they can run it only you will be able to answer having tried it. Depending on how complex your 3D work is you may find yourself frustrated due to the graphics card. Maybe the whole experience of using a mac, OS X and software on it will be better than being able to rotate models quicker though. Just one of those things you have to go out and try.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

4. Luke87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys, and one final question as a designer...would it be better to have the matte option or glossy?...I've read a couple of threads here and i fear i might be opening pandoras box :p