3g $199?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terp26, May 12, 2008.

1. terp26 macrumors newbie

So if the 3G retails for 499, and we get a $200 subsidy from AT&T, and I use my $100 credit from Apple for being an early adopter, I can get a new 3G for $199?

I wasn't thinking about upgrading because of the price, but $199 would be a little too hard to pass up! What do you guys think?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You forgot the part where you sell your current iPhone for $200 :p

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I thought the 8 Gig will be $399 and the 16 $499, subsidized pricing will be $199 and $299...

4. seenett macrumors regular

Could be the AT&T subsidy will only be offered in AT&T stores, in which case your $100 is no good. Save it for accessories?

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

This won't quite work as you described. You will not be able to use that $100 Early Adopter credit towards a subsidized iPhone as you will be purchasing it at the At&t Store... not an Apple Store. The credit is only good at Apple.

My understanding that the subsidized iPhones will only be available through At&t as part of their effort to increase contract sales. If you buy it through Apple, you will not get the the subsidized price.

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Roger. The iphones in Apple stores will be full price

7. terp26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm well I guess nothing is confirmed. However If that were the case, why would anyone buy a phone from the apple store? Do you really think Apple would agree to that?

8. robhedin macrumors regular

Well, generally the subsidized phones are not available on an existing contract until you are close to contract expiration. If that's the case, then anyone who wants to upgrade would likely have to pay full price, while new users/customers get to pay less.

rob.

9. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

my guess is that you wil be able to buy it from the apple store at full price, however you be sent a $200 apple gift card or some kind of rebate after signing up with AT&T

10. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I just looked at my AT&T account and it says that the iPhones on my account are eligible for an upgrade discount if I sign a new 2 year contract. The regular phone that I bought at the same time is not eligible for an upgrade. I assume that is because I already got a discount on that contract and it hasn't been long enough. It appears that since I did not receive a discount on the lines that have the iPhone they are eligible. Time will tell.

By the way, the pictures they have for the iPhone and the iPhone Black are the same.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Buy it at the Apple store and get a rebate or credit off your bill with AT&T....