3G, 3.1 Jailbreak dilemma

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FSUSem1noles, Sep 22, 2009.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Here's the situation, I have an iPhone 3G with 3.1 on it, I tried jailbreaking using Pwnage, I downloaded the ipsw 3.1 7C144 for pwnage to make the custom ipsw.

Pwnage gets through making the custom ipsw, I restore through iTunes the phone goes through the whole rebooting process, when it restarts, I see Winterboard and Cycorder but when I go to use them, they don't work..

I open up Cycorder, and it doesn't open. I try using a theme via winterboard and the springboard reloads but the theme doesn't show..

Do I need to downgrade to 3.0 first??

I'm at a loss..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I would say you got the wrong custom IPSW

If you have an AT&T sim, make sure it's not a hacktivated IPSW

Also, if your 3G has been JB before, the custom IPSW must account for that as there is a checkmark for that feature.

3. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Thanks for the reply!

I think that's what it may be, I have a legit at&t sim and I was running JB 3.0, but in the first Pwnage ipsw I created, I selected no for the JB question, having Pwnage build a new custom ipsw right now with the yes option selected.. crossing fingers.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Do you have any friends with a Mac

Just grab the Pwnage Tool and the Apple 3.1 IPSW and have him make it for you.

Drop it on a thumb drive and you know what you got.

As a hint, only check Cydia, not Icy. Put in OpenSSH, but stay away from WB and Cycorder. You can load those later.

Since you have an AT&T sim, make sure the activate button is not checked.

My motto for success. keep it simple. The more ingredients, the more mistakes.

5. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Thanks for your help dh, I was able to JB, in the 2nd ipsw, I left out WB and Cycorder, I had originally put them in my package the first time.

I left them out the 2nd, and just installed them off of Cydia after the restore, everything is up and working.

thanks!

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

your situation is nothing new to me I like yourself tried making custom ipsw files when I first had a mac and I could never figure out why it always ended up being botched when I built one with stuff to be pre-installed.

I have never known pwnagetool to make a successful ipsw with stuff already pre-installed, they need to take this option out personally as it never seems to work

7. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, I figuresd I would save myself some steps by including WB and Cycorder and a couple of other minor apps in the created package from Pwnage..

Alas, I really believe that was the problem, because when I redid the Jailbreak and didn't include anything in the package, rather went through Cydia after the JB process, things are working smoothly.

8. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I had the same issue and I tried re-doing everything 3x and cycorder still won't open on mine. I think I'll just do without it b/c everything else works fine.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Let's hope others read this. Use pwnage to create an ipsw file, not to load apps. Open up Cydia post jailbreak, let it reorganize itself, THEN go crazy with the apps :)