3G, 3GS, 4 external speaker louder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I have a 3G right now, and I wish the speaker were louder. I listen to podcasts through the speaker instead of headphones sometimes.

Does anyone know if the external speaker on the 3GS was louder than the 3G, and if the 4 will be louder than either one?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

i dont know if it was officially louder but my friends 3GS was streaks louder than my 3G that i just sold

4. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

That's good news. I would imagine the 4 would be at least as loud as the 3GS, which sounds like an improvement.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I assume that it will be louder, especially because of FaceTime calling. I just can't be sure and don't want to tell the OP that I am.

6. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

It's cool. Obviously, none of us will know for sure until it launches.

I was mainly wondering if the 3GS was louder than the 3G, and also if anyone had read anything from people who tried it at WWDC about whether it might be louder.

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

If it matters, I think the speaker holes are bigger :rolleyes:

8. dmx macrumors 6502

I hope so.

Otherwise... I remember an article or post a long time ago where someone used a needle of some sort to make the holes in the mesh over the speaker larger. They said it helped tremendously... if ya don't mind possibly voiding your warranty.

9. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I think the danger with this is that they may have a layer of plastic or something to keep dust out. If you poke something in there it might let dust in. My 3G already had a bunch of dust under the screen. I had to take it apart and clean it out.

10. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

i hope it's louder.

I have a Sony-Ericsson w995.. the audio is SO much better on it than my 1st gen iPhone. The calls are louder and clearer. The speaker phone can be turned up TOO loud, which is good. and the caller on the other end always has an easier time understanding me.

I hope the audio quality of the iPhone 4 is much improved.

11. puggles macrumors regular

12. dmize31287 macrumors regular

I hope so, doesn't iPhone 4 have two speakers as well? I went to Blackberry originally for the boosted speaker phone (when I lived in California, I preferred speaker than bluetooth on the freeway). But 3GS came out and was equivalent with the software I loved.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have both in front me right now and my 3GS is significantly louder than the 3G, so much so that on about half it drowns out the 3G on 4/5, like two bars from full blast.

14. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

this wont help much but there is a case that pulls out and curves the sound coming the iPhone to make it louder but I cant remember the name of the case