3G/4G Ip Camera advice needed.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justperry, Oct 11, 2013.

1. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hi there

I need to find a 3G/4G Ip Camera which is affordable and needs to have the following features.
    Connect to the camera remotely with a PC, I don't want to use a mobile phone for this since it will eat minutes, but a short call will be OK and then view the camera from the PC, is this possible, this after I have disconnected from the Mobile phone.
    A raspberry Pi could also do this I guess with a 3G dongle connected to it but the setup isn't that easy, this way I also need to have a server since the IP will change each and every time and another problem is that the 3G connection needs to be always on.
    I get headaches from this, it's for a friend of a friend and he keeps asking me about it.
    Found plenty of sim card enabled pan/tilt cameras but they all seem to be Chinese made, quality might be an issue and the manuals aren't that good.
    The guy is into filming animals on remote places, before he filmed in his own forest which had connection to his place with some long distance antennas, he used a HD camera which was connected to his laptop but he can't place this out in the open in remote places which are accessible to people, might get stolen.
    Before he also did this with teamviewer and a dongle connected to his laptop.
    So, anyone has some advice here.

Cheers Perry

2. justperry thread starter macrumors 604

justperry

After some thinking I think it's gonna be a 3g portable router with an external pan/tilt camera attached to it, got an option to connect it to the Lan port or just do it wirelessly.
    Plenty of portable 3g routers, some of them expensive, some not so, like the one below, yes chinese but also cheap.
    It also has freedns.afraid.org built into it, great, has to work or not?

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/3G-Unlocked-..._Broadband_Devices&hash=item43c09f77ca&_uhb=1

[​IMG]