3g/4g modem in hard drive bay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serithg, Nov 28, 2011.

1. serithg macrumors newbie

serithg

I was thinking about using a OWC Data Doubler to add a second hard drive in my MBP. Noticing the extra space, about the size of a 3g/4g modem drive, i thought it might be possible to hard wire it into my mbp. is this possible?

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yes almost anything is possible if you have the aptitude for that sort of hardware design.

I would just use a USB antenna though, just doesn't seem worthwhile enough to me.

3. serithg thread starter macrumors newbie

serithg

my question is is it possible to wire in the usb and such, without wiring into an existing usb slot, so that both usb slots are still functional

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's very very little room inside the the MBP to do any hardware modding, and your warranty will be void the minute you do it. You'd have to monkey around with a soldering gun on the logic board, which is not for the novice or even the experienced.

5. serithg thread starter macrumors newbie

serithg

so the alternative would disable a usb port but with basic soldering (i havent soldered for years) but enable 3g?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

And you seriously expect decent reception housing a wireless modem within a solid block of aluminium?

There's a reason the WiFi antenna runs along the black plastic screen hinge.

7. serithg thread starter macrumors newbie

serithg

8. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

^^THIS^^

You'd have to see how much room is in that hinge. I would guess not much.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Have fun with the interference that would cause.

You'd have to disable a USB port and wire it into the modem. You'd be permanently short that port, which to me makes it not worth it. You'd then have to wire an antenna somehow.

One interesting possibility is that if your MBP is one of the ones that uses a USB bus to connect the SD card slot, you could try to wire it in there. It's a daunting prospect, and you'd need an antenna that is more exposed than the Wi-Fi/BT antenna.

10. serithg thread starter macrumors newbie

serithg

thanks for all the help. i probably won't try this seeing the amount of damage it would cause but definitely getting a momentus xt any problems?

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

12. serithg thread starter macrumors newbie

serithg