3G and batter life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c073186, Aug 7, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

If I have 3G enabled, but am getting no 3G signal, does it still eat up my battery life?

2. profetto macrumors regular

I would think so. I imagine the phone is constantly searching for the 3G signal even if it can only find EDGE.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is my thought. I always turn it off when I'm at work as I have no 3G signal there. I'm certain it wastes power looking for it all day, so tell it not to look.

Same thing with Wi-Fi. I only turn it on when I know there's a network there to use.

5. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

What would save more battery life: using 3G and turning WiFi off, or turning 3G off and using WiFi?

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Turning 3G off and using Wifi.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Technically I think Wi-Fi uses the most power.

But I use whatever's faster. I didn't spend money on this phone to sit around and wait. I'll use the fastest connection available and enjoy life.

I only worry about this kind of thing if I'm going to be out side all day. And in that case, there's probably no wi-fi to choose from anyway.

If there's wi-fi, there's probably a plug somewhere. The phone charges halfway in about 30 minutes. I get through most of the day and then charge the hour before I go out.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Well Wifi is easiest on the battery when surfing the web. So it doesn't appear that it's using the most power.