3G and EDGE don't work; only WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by devonxo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. devonxo macrumors member

Last night my SIM card stopped being read and I went to AT&T and got a new one. I discovered this morning that when I left my home and came off WiFi, I was not getting Internet access on 3G nor on EDGE. The icons weren't showing up either to indicate if I was on one of these networks. I went to AT&T to get this checked out and they told me there's a network problem and there's currently no solution. I am now on hold waiting to talk to customer service because my other friends with iPhone 3G are not having any network issues. Has this happened to anyone else yet? Should I attempt to do anything with the phone to get it working again? My $30/mo is wasting away with no Internet on the go :(

2. BackFocus macrumors member

this happened to me yesterday. exact same problem. Ask them to 'provision' your account for 3g/Data. After a restart, it worked fine.

3. SailorMike macrumors member

I have the same problem and after 3 hours on the phone with AT&T and Apple, AT&T said the network issue would be solved by July 23.

I can't tell you how much I hate those idiots.

4. BackFocus macrumors member

July 23rd? Ugh, they need to get their act together. 3g speeds in my area are slower then EDGE! at&t rep said it was probably growing pains

5. davem7 macrumors member

Is anybody in the UK having this same issue with O2? My data isn't working over 3G/EDGE.

6. devonxo thread starter macrumors member

Just an update:

I spoke with an iPhone tech at at&t and he was able to transfer me to exactly the right person. Just as I suspected, a signal needed to be sent to my phone and once that came thru my phone has been working great ever since! I was extremely happy with the customer service over the phone and was not going to "wait it out" to fix itself!