3g and edge. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Colonel Badger, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

So every now and then my phone will switch from 3g to edge when I'm in an area I know is covered by 3g. For instance at work I have a strong 3g signal and today it just switched to edge just before I left for home. My phone then refused to go back to 3g all the way home (20 miles) even though i93 is covered where I am with 3g and so is my home town. Later I checked the phone and it had switched back to 3g.

Just want to be sure I don't have a hardware problem. The phones only done this twice since I've had it.

Thanks

mark

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I've had this happen too, usually if you put your iPhone in Airplane mode for a second and then switch it back it will find the 3G network. Another solution is to get a new SIM card. I'm not sure if you're aware but AT&T released new SIM cards a few months back which improve your 3G connection. It's free to swap it out as well.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wasn't aware of this. That should have been a thread, if it wasn't. Can we just go to AT&T and get them replaced? Cost anything?

4. Colonel Badger thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I wasn't aware there was any "special" SIM out there.