3G and EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patcase86, Mar 31, 2008.

1. patcase86 macrumors newbie

This has probably already been asked before... but...

Will the rumored 3G iPhone also run on the EDGE network? According to the ATT, there is no 3G coverage where I go to college. It would make me really sad if I had to be on WiFi all the time when I'm out of 3G range.

2. DJJONES macrumors 6502

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

see coverage in this country is the very reason why I dont care if they make a 3g model

4. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

cant wait to get a 3g iphone gonna be awesome i hate 2g and 2.5:rolleyes:

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^^^^

EDGE on T-Mobile here in Chicago is pretty good.

Then I was in Aurora for work and nada.... :(

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

GPRS sucks, seems im on that most of the time and its slow slow slow slow slow, roll on the 3G goodness!!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, if you don't even have EDGE now, where you are, and you're stuck using GPRS, why would you expect that they'll roll out HSPA in your location any time soon?

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

^He's right.

If you can't even get EDGE that much now, you probably won't see 3G for years in your area.

9. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

This confusion about technology seems quite common. Several of my friends and co-workers did not buy an iPhone simply because they think 3G is a miracle that will make their downloads fast and cure cancer. Edge is a lot faster than people seem to realise.

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I live in the centre of Glasgow!!!

Also the quote button makes a far better way of doing that.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And you expect me to know this by making your location field in an Apple store? :p How are you only getting GPRS in Glasgow?

12. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Fair enough, good point but my location is Apple Store Buchanan, which is the flagship Scotland Store in Glasgow, never mind though, I see entirely where you are coming from.

Yea in Glasgow I seem to be more on GPRS than EDGE which is a bit bizarre considering the size of the city, would think that it is just a blanket of EDGE hence 3G by your logic but not the case at all.

Luckily am always not to far away from a WiFi so I shouldnt really complain but its the principle of possibly having 3G when I might need it when out and about that would be good!!

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, sorry -- the OP is an American, and I didn't see any obvious britticism :p in your post so I didn't assume you were from the UK. Your situation is actually different. Here in the US, GPRS was deployed years ago, and EDGE was deployed as the next level over the GPRS grid by both of the GSM majors. No one jumped to HSPA and skipped EDGE in the US. So in the US, the HSPA coverage map is almost always a subset of the EDGE map -- EDGE is widely deployed, and HSPA is more narrowly deployed.

The situation in the UK is different, particularly if you unlock your iPhone. There, HSPA is relatively widely deployed, and EDGE in contrast is not widely deployed. As I understand it, really only O2 uses EDGE at all.

So in your situation, if you had a 3G iPhone, and particularly if you didn't use O2, you might get HSPA service even though you don't get EDGE now.

That situation doesn't arise in the US, but it could arise over there. :eek: Sorry again.

14. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

No problem at all, I was being very vauge with my location. Notice that you say that if I didnt use O2 I would get HSPA. The problem with this is that,as Im sure you know,the UK iPhone is O2 with whom I have a iPhone 18 month contract and I also dont want to get involved in the whole unlocking business.

Just out of interest does that mean you are speculating that I wont get very good 3G coverage with them? Im just curious because I really dont know at all what its going to be like.

Hope they get knuckled down with the 3G rollout for you American guys!!