3G and Wifi simultaneously?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chenjas1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. chenjas1 macrumors member

Does anyone know of an app, that requires jailbreaking my phone, or not, that would allow me to stream music through wifi via AirPlay, yet access data such as email and web access through 3G simultaneously?

Reason being, the wifi network I have set up to connect to my sound system does not connect to the Internet, so streaming music via AirPlay works fine, but I can't access email without turning off wifi and therefore stopping the music. Bottom line, I'd like to check my email and stream music at the same time.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm confused, how are you not allowed to check your email wile on WiFi.

3. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

I have an AirPort Express hooked up to my sound system. It's broadcasting a wifi signal but is not connected to the Internet. That's how I'm able to stream music from my iPhone.

4. jas1973 macrumors 6502

5. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

I tried launching Pandora with wifi off then turning wifi on to hop onto the AirPlay network... Worked initially, since I believe Pandora keeps a buffer for the current song, but it would not advance and I could not access any data either through 3G or wifi (of course, since my network isn't conneted to the intenet).

I did not set up my existing network through an ethernet cable as you did. I simply plugged the AE into the power outlet, set up as a new network and clicked ignore when it said there was no internet connection. Perhaps I need to set it up on an exisiting, connected network?

What are your thoughts?

6. jas1973 macrumors 6502

set it up as new with airport utility, but click manual setup. Set it on bridge mode. then go to tcp/ip and set it configure to manually, then delete everything but the submask and click save. And ignore any error reports and save.

Should work

7. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

Genius!!! This is truly amazing and makes my life that much easier!

Thanks for the info!

8. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i know it is great. i love bringing my airport express anywhere i want and plug it into any radio and stream pandora or xm radio all day and send it right to the airport express. You should be able to connect to the wifi network you created and still see the 3g displayed on the iphone.

took me a while to get it with help from people on here but finally got it to work this way. it is finicking at times and sometimes doesn't connect to the airport device right away but usually on the second attempt it works great the rest of the day as long as i have good 3g connection. if streaming just ipod content then bad 3g reception isn't an issue.