3G and Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Argon21, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Argon21, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

Argon21 macrumors member

I'm interested in the iPad, but I'm concerned about one thing. My iPhone has a settings for "airplane mode", which disables both the wifi service, and cellular service, both at once. There is no method to disable one service independently of the other, which seems really stupid.

I fly a lot, and some new planes have wifi internet on them, but cell service is strictly prohibited. In this situation, I want to be able to disable the cellular service but keep wifi turned on.

I also take the train a lot, and my iphone will pop up with the "do you want to join one of these wifis?" prompt every time I turn it on, because the train is going past a new place. In this situation, I would like to turn the wifi off, but keep the 3G enabled.

So does ipad let me do this or not?? Thx

2. amazonpam macrumors member

Yes! In settings each has an individual button to turn on/off.

3. b.c. macrumors 6502

not true. if you turn on Airplane mode, it does at first turn off both 3G and Wi-Fi together.

but you can then separately turn Wi-Fi back on, using the separate wifi switch in settings. 3G remains off. this is true for both iPhone and iPad