3G Back: Camera Lens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Black&Tan, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Quick question...is the gap between the camera and the back of the phone hollow or is it sealed? I ask because there is a flake of plastic (or some other foreign matter) directly adjacent to the lens. I'm afraid of it eventually migrating over the camera lens and causing issues with pictures. Thanks!

2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've thought about that...just don't want to be a pain in the xxx for what could be a non-issue if the "flake" doesn't move. FWIW, I just bought the phone 2 weeks ago.

4. kleo macrumors regular

Ya take your phone to the apple store because you are concerned over a piece of lint that got in a crack. I bet they can use their HUGE minds to remove it for you.

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Thanks for the response kleo...I forgot it was National Sarcasm Month.

Let me see if I can explain this differently...the size of the actual camera lens is maybe 1.5 mm in diameter. There's a flake of something directly adjacent to the camera lens, under the exterior 3G case. The object in question is maybe a half millimeter in size. Small, yes. But would it cover a third of the camera lens, yes. My simple question is whether the area between the lens and the the back of the case is hollow? Without something, either pressure or a clear resin/substrate to impede its progress, I'm afraid this foreign object will migrate over the actual lens and obscure photos.

6. gvincent macrumors newbie

gvincent

if tweezers won't do it, let a genius look at it, too much $$ to screw around with...

7. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Yeah, I can't even get to it. There is a glass overlay on the back of the 3G body which blocks all access. I'm not anal about keeping the phone perfect, but I have no intentions of upgrading until my contract is up, and if this debris has the potential to migrate and I don't address it now, I'll be upset with myself later.

Thanks.

8. kleo macrumors regular

How do you know there is a piece of junk in there if the case is opaque? Does it rattle around? Or can you see it through the lens? If its in the lens YES it can move around if its outside of the lens then no it cant move around. Take a look at the iPhone 3G tear-down photos at www.ifixit.com and you will see how its all put together. You will see that the camera module and lens are completely different components and just fit snugly together.

9. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Thanks for the link Kleo. That's helpful.

Yes, the debris is visible and sandwiched between the actual camera lens and the phone back panel. It also appears to have moved, so its now starting to overlap the physical lens. I think we're buying my wife an 8GB version this weekend, so I'll take the hour ride over to the Apple store to see what they have to say.