3G backup on update to 4 is very slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xgman, Jun 21, 2010.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Connecting a 3G to itunes and it dies he auto sync and backup really fast. When I say upgrade to 4.0 it downloaded the software and then started backing up the iphone 3G again, only this time excruciatingly slow. I mean really slow as o almost not move at all. Any ideas?? Thanks.

2. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Started mine about 40 minutes ago, and it's only about 10% of the way though the backing up stage.

3. srkislia macrumors newbie

Cancel Backup?

If I manually backup my iPhone 3g then cancel the automatic backup, would by iPhone restore in iOS4, or would my manual backup downgrade back to iOS3? :confused:

4. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

It downgrades back to 3.1.x if you stop he failed backup. Something is borked, The normal backup works fine. The "upgrade" backup stops at about 10% or so. Is there some way to force the upgrade without having to go through the backup step? What else can we do?

5. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

To temporarily disable auto backup in itunes, close itunes and then post this in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true

Then start itunes start the upgrade and say ok to upgrade without backup when it fails. then if all works close itunes and post this in terminal to reverse auto backup canceling:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool false

Seemed to work for me, but there must be some bad app or something causing this to begin with.

UPDATE: Actually it did upgrade to 4.0, but, reset the iphone to it's defaults and wiped all my stuff. Hopefully a restore from an older backup will put my stuff back. Then re-synced and everything was back and it was OS 4.

6. anubus84 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. Can anyone translate the previous post to lameness for me? Or any other suggestions?

7. robbo007 macrumors newbie

robbo007

FFS. This is crap. Takes forever to backup and I only have 1.2GB of information on my iphone :mad: . Has anyone got a fix for this where you don't loose data on a jailbroken iphone 3G ?

Thanks,
    Rob

8. Fujiko7 macrumors 6502

I had same thing - thought it was hanging so stopped and restarted the backup. Same thing again. So I left it overnight and it was all done this morning.

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Same here. It was extremely slow. I ended up just setting my laptop to never sleep and then started the upgrade and went to bed. 5 hours later when the alarm went off the update was just completing.

PS, it also took close to 2 hours just to download the update before starting the upgrade.

10. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 3G 16 GB (filled with approx. 9 GB) via MBP/OS X needed 5.5 (in words: five point five) hours from hitting "Update" to "Software Version 4.0" in iTunes. The download itself was fast, a few minutes.

And it's very dangerous because it is not clearly determined by OS when the update is really finished. Some people disconnected the iPhone when the "Restoring Backup…" progress bar vanished finally. Yes, you can start the iPhone then, but it's in Vanilla mode only (without previous settings, apps…).

When "Restoring Backup…" has finished there are additionally two or three progress bars (Music, Videos, Apps) and one or two complete reboots of iPhone. Wait until "Software Version 4.0" appears in iTunes "iPhone" overview main page. Apple should make that clearer.

There were hints that you should disconnect all other USB devices for a quicker OS 4 update. I had my eyeTV USB receiver connected but the app war closed.

11. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I gave up trying to install os 4 on my 3g.
    After two hours it was less than 25% completed.