3G backups messing up the 3GS batteries?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 28, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

The 3.0 OS for the 3G and 3GS are different, so when you restore a 3G backup onto a 3GS, does it carry over a different operating system? I'm thinking that if we wait for 3.0.1, it will fix this problem because it recognizes your device as a 3GS and puts the appropriate OS on it. Should we simply reinstall the 3.0 OS (from Apple's website or whatever) for the 3GS and that should fix some of the battery problems?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Restoring from a backup doesn't replace the operating system, it replaces system data (apps, settings, etc). However, this could definitely screw with the operating system if you get something funky going on.

Since the 3G an 3GS are different hardware platforms the best bet (unless you absolutely must have some of the backed up data from your old phone) is not to use a backup from the previous platform.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

A few things I have noticed with my 3G:

When I first got it, I restored from my 3G backup and had very good battery life.

I applied the carrier update to give me MMS and tethering and had horrible battery life.

Restored again to the 3G backup and again had very good battery life, till I applied the carrier update once again.

Restored once more, this time as a new phone and applied the carrier update. This time I have excellent battery life.

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

After you restore, go into your options and reset all settings. Your phone logs and other data will be intact but it will restore the preferences back to default. If your worries about old data killing battery that will resolve it. I didn't need to.

5. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll just wait till 3.0.1, no normal person would worry this much anyways about a different 3.0 OS, to most people they're all the same. I'm just gonna enjoy my 3GS and see how the battery life goes.