3G bezel coming apart

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Voski, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Voski macrumors member

Ok so I dropped my phone a while ago and it fell on the corner where the sleep wake button is right where the bezel and back case connect. Since then the bezel has come apart from the case a little bit. Now it has been slowly coming apart more and the bezel is coming apart all the way along the side of the phone. Today my sleep/wake button stopped responding and sits very low. I have to squeeze the side of the phone so the bezel and case reconnect and then the button works again.

I called apple and they said they wouldn't do anything because I dropped it, which I understand. They said I could get it repaired for $199 or I could get a replacement for $199.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this? Should the bezel lock into the case? I think I just have to get a 3GS =/

2. Voski thread starter macrumors member

I took the front cover off and the bezel wasn't sticking up as high any more. I tried to see if I could tighten it down or if I could do anything to get it to sit flush again and there was nothing I could do. As soon as I put the screen back in it popped right back up. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't causing issues with the sleep/wake button.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

the replacement would be an iphone 3g but you can sell that for around $400 esily.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I had an iPhone that had the bezel coming away from the body - as in, you could get a fingernail between the silver and the body.

I took it the apple store and they gave me a 'new' one.

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Since you are out of warranty, might as well take it apart using ifixit.com guides. Plus it's a ton easier to take apart than the original iPhone. Maybe the bezel bent and you can just bend it back or buy a new bezel replacement and maybe a new plastic back.