3G Broadband through out whole house??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sp71Supra, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sp71Supra macrumors regular

I have been trying to figure out a way to use my ATT unlimited plan through out my whole house.. included hard wired devices.

Netgear makes the mbrn3000 which is a 3g broadband router w/ a usb slot in the rear.. no one local carries this router in my area and I posted on here if anyone out there is using it and got 1 reply. It does not list the iphone as compatable, but im sure there is a chance it will work. I just can't go out anywhere local and buy it and return it if it does not work. I don't mind spending the money on the router if I know it works.

What are my other options? Can I use my MYWI and tether to my MBP and in turn have an ethernet cable from my MBP to a wireless router? Will it share the connection to wired and wireless devices?

Thanks

2. JamesMB, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know, this guy wants to use his 3G iphone data to even hardwire the whole house:rolleyes:
    Give me a break, pay the $25-30 per month for home internet people.

5. aicul macrumors 6502a

Agree fully

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While it's nice to have on the go, and technically possible to wire your house like this, it would drive me up the wall running my PS3, MBP, Netflix, downloads, Wii, and phone off 3G when I'm at home. It's like taking your bicycle on the freeway; sure you can, but why in gods name would you want to?

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Maybe, just so he can feel like he is getting something for nothing.

9. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

If only it were that little.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Almost all markets have a basic 1Mbps or so DSL package available for ~$20. I'd honestly rather have that than deal with trying to tether my entire household to a phone.

11. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

That's not broadband. Any 3G cell phone goes faster than 1Mbps. You can't even watch videos with 1Mbps DSL since actual speeds are like half that. Not to mention that $20 will only get you a data cap of like 15 gigabytes on a DSL line.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

More like getting nothing for something....

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In many locations, 3G is not consistently faster than 1Mbps - and it has significantly higher latency and terrible jitter. There is no reason you shouldn't get the full advertised speed from a DSL line - especially such a low speed one. I'm not saying I'd want to live with 1Mbps - but I'd take it over tethering multiple devices through my phone at home.

14. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Oh, then you haven't heard the AT&T argument of "line congestion" for home internet.

15. Sp71Supra thread starter macrumors regular

As I figured, no replies other than telling me what is right and wrong.

The only item that I wanted hard wired was my directv receiver to use my iPad app as a remote control. That just needs to be connected to ur local network. Other than that all I do at home is use my mywi on my iPad.

I do all my heavy computing at my office, all I do at home is browse the home depots website! If it were not for the directv app I would be content using just my iPad at my house. I just bought my first house a month ago and figured I could get by on the 3G until I get everything done and settled in. Of course I knew this would not be a permanent fix. With all of this being said comcast is coming out tomorrow to install 6-12 gig cable service.

When everything is done and installed in the house I will defiantly need the cable connection, just tried to get by for a few months, but no biggie.

Happy now?

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You could always just tether for the few months while you don't have home internet. If you're jailbroken of course. You seem like a pretty good guy that's using the internet for work purposes or just browsing in general. You don't seem like those trolls who use 190GB a month.

In general, I don't really get why people would want to use 3G as a home internet.. Cable is so much faster.

17. Sp71Supra thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...

Yeah, I am in mid construction right now. When the house is done there will be a media room, bar, etc.. It's gonna be filled with network connected toys which will of course require a broadband connection. As of right now, it's me, my iPhone, iPad, and my dog. The only reason I wanted it hardwired was for my directv app. Other than that mywi works great. Either way I'll have my problem solved tomorrow afternoon.