3G, buy Now, wait, or never?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shiunn, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. shiunn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    #1
    Hi ppl,
    I need a few ideas and ppl to discuss my thought process with.

    I own the 1st gen iPhone. And am tempted to get the 3G. I have my summer holiday coming up, where I will not be in the UK for 3 months.

    My thought process is as follow:
    1) buy the 3G NOW, since I am not losing out on the monthly tariff payment. Heck, the contract will even expire earlier than buying AFTER summer
    2) buy AFTER summer, since I can't exactly use the phone anyway.
    3) not buy? and maybe wait for 3rd gen which may come out at the end of my original contract?

    I am very bad at weighing up possibilities, so, can someone add some pros and cons into all the pathways? Am I missing something crucial?
    Thanks
     
  2. PACMAC macrumors regular

    PACMAC

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    #2
    dose fast internet/gps you really need.?

    do you get good 3g connections in your area?

    its up to you..go to your att/apple and play with one and see if you like it..

    if not i would wait for the 3rd one to come out..
    most 3g phones have video calling and the iphone lacks that..i hope they will have that but i think that will eat up batt like crazy too..not sure..but yeah just my opinion..
     
  3. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2008
    #3
    If you're able to think about whether or not you need it, then you don't need it. :) If you can wait, wait, because it'll just end up going down in price eventually anyway or they'll come out with other options on color/capacity. Otherwise be like the rest of us and just do it.
     
  4. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    #4
    hahaha! I think I'm not in the stage of "if i need it or not". Now, I "want" to get one. But before I do it, I'd just like to see if there's any huge disadvantage of getting one. I mean, £99 is fairly cheap, and the only disadvantage is the extension of my contract.

    sigh...as I typed the above, I realised I am just piling excuses upon excuses to get one. I feel quite pathetic now. haha
    I will now exit my apartment and head to the nearest apple store...
     
  5. ripkord macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #5
    For me at least its a no brainer....

    Keep current iPhone - see out remainder of contract...

    £35 x 10 months = £350

    Or.... Get "updated" iPhone with 3G (dont care) and GPS (will care once we get tomtom) and extend my contract for another 18 months.

    £35 x 18 = £630
    + £100 for the handset.

    = £730 or an additional £380 on top of what I'd be paying anyway.

    Hmmm....

    Don't think so, Maybe if there was a GULF between the capabilities of the two phones, but £380 for 3G and GPS? Nah.
     
  6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    #6
    Regarding the "remainder of contract" argument. I wouldn't say you will be paying an additional £380. You've not taken into calculation that you'd still be paying some money to have a tariff after the 10 months have passed.
     
  7. jwright0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #7
    Its the age old problem with evolving technology. If you are always waiting for the newest "thing" to come out before you buy, you will never buy anything. I say buy it, ya there might be a some glitches and things that aren't perfect, but I can say I am very happy with mine.
     
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

    zelmo

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Location:
    Mac since 7.5
    #8
    If you want it, buy it. There are always going to be issues with the latest tech, and there is always going to be a better version in the pipeline. Life's too short to wait for the perfect thing.
     

Share This Page