3G, buy Now, wait, or never?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shiunn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

Hi ppl,
    I need a few ideas and ppl to discuss my thought process with.

I own the 1st gen iPhone. And am tempted to get the 3G. I have my summer holiday coming up, where I will not be in the UK for 3 months.

My thought process is as follow:
    1) buy the 3G NOW, since I am not losing out on the monthly tariff payment. Heck, the contract will even expire earlier than buying AFTER summer
    2) buy AFTER summer, since I can't exactly use the phone anyway.
    3) not buy? and maybe wait for 3rd gen which may come out at the end of my original contract?

I am very bad at weighing up possibilities, so, can someone add some pros and cons into all the pathways? Am I missing something crucial?
    Thanks

2. PACMAC macrumors regular

PACMAC

dose fast internet/gps you really need.?

do you get good 3g connections in your area?

its up to you..go to your att/apple and play with one and see if you like it..

if not i would wait for the 3rd one to come out..
    most 3g phones have video calling and the iphone lacks that..i hope they will have that but i think that will eat up batt like crazy too..not sure..but yeah just my opinion..

3. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

If you're able to think about whether or not you need it, then you don't need it. :) If you can wait, wait, because it'll just end up going down in price eventually anyway or they'll come out with other options on color/capacity. Otherwise be like the rest of us and just do it.

4. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha! I think I'm not in the stage of "if i need it or not". Now, I "want" to get one. But before I do it, I'd just like to see if there's any huge disadvantage of getting one. I mean, £99 is fairly cheap, and the only disadvantage is the extension of my contract.

sigh...as I typed the above, I realised I am just piling excuses upon excuses to get one. I feel quite pathetic now. haha
    I will now exit my apartment and head to the nearest apple store...

5. ripkord macrumors 6502

For me at least its a no brainer....

Keep current iPhone - see out remainder of contract...

£35 x 10 months = £350

Or.... Get "updated" iPhone with 3G (dont care) and GPS (will care once we get tomtom) and extend my contract for another 18 months.

£35 x 18 = £630
    + £100 for the handset.

= £730 or an additional £380 on top of what I'd be paying anyway.

Hmmm....

Don't think so, Maybe if there was a GULF between the capabilities of the two phones, but £380 for 3G and GPS? Nah.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

Regarding the "remainder of contract" argument. I wouldn't say you will be paying an additional £380. You've not taken into calculation that you'd still be paying some money to have a tariff after the 10 months have passed.

7. jwright0 macrumors newbie

Its the age old problem with evolving technology. If you are always waiting for the newest "thing" to come out before you buy, you will never buy anything. I say buy it, ya there might be a some glitches and things that aren't perfect, but I can say I am very happy with mine.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you want it, buy it. There are always going to be issues with the latest tech, and there is always going to be a better version in the pipeline. Life's too short to wait for the perfect thing.