3g capable ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nora47, Aug 13, 2010.

1. nora47 macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2010
    I doubt this would be part of the new ipod coming out in september, but what do you guys think of a someday 3g capable ipod touch? With the ipad being 3g it only makes sense to have a 3g ipod touch. This would be good for people who don't need an ipad because of either cost or size, and good for those who want an iphone like device to carry with them with internet service everywhere and not have to pay around $85 a month for phone service.
  2. EllieV macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2010
    I doubt it too. It does not make sense just because the ipad has it. The ipad has a bigger screen, and doesn't fit in your pocket, so it's different from an iPhone. The touch, is not. If someone wants an iPhone like device, they get an iPhone...

My verdict... NO
  3. liamkp macrumors 68020

May 29, 2010
    The quote says it all.

Maybe next year, but personally i think it would lessen iPad sales, and the sales would then go to the Touch. But i dont think apple will want this, as i am pretty sure that they make more off the iPad then they do the Touch.
  4. EllieV macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2010
    I don't even think next year. A music player (iPod) is not meant to do a phone's job.
  5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Why on earth would they do that? That would more than likely lower iPhone sales which is Apples flagship product. They made a 3G ipad because it is just for web browsing, nobody would hold that thing up to their ear ;)
  6. EllieV macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2010
    Exactly. This is the point I'm making. I don't think they'll make one. Ever.
  7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

May 6, 2010
    New York
    Never. Once they do that, then you have network/internet access everywhere. All you need to do is add a VOIP app, like skype, and you're making and receiving calls on your iPod touch. iPhone sales instantly take a hit.

It's ok on the iPad, as it's not a truly portable device the way the touch is.
  8. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2010
    In the heart of Europe
    Couldn't agree more. Plus you would still have to pay some money montly, but I am not sure how much.
  9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    And the carriers would definitely NOT be happy to lose the extremely profitable phone + data charges! They would hate a 3G iPod Touch that could make phone calls using only a data plan.